Chapter 5: Sleepy Tears and Desperate Kisses

Our lips departed after a long, silent moment. It felt very dreamy like considering I was barley awake.

I was really shocked after, but I don't think it showed.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what got into me I just.." His soft voice rambled as I interrupted him.
"It's okay," I cleared my throat. I didn't really know what to say afterwards, besides just "It's okay."
I was still sitting on his lap, laying against him, I felt really heavy-eyed and worn out from crying so much. I don't think either of us cared about the kiss, or maybe it was my drowsy self telling me not to care. I knew deep down I liked Dally, I never actually admitted it to myself prior days before when I was thinking about all this. It wasn't until tonight I actually said it to someone that I did like him.
He and I just sat there, leaning against each other. Next moment I knew, I was slowly falling asleep on Sodapop..

I woke up the next morning with the sun blarring through the curtains, I felt like the reflection of the sun was trying to blind me. I threw the covers off of me, I was groggy and didn't wanna do a single thing.
I was able to collect myself and trample my way down the stairs. My mom instantly greeted me with a message from Soda.
"He wants you to meet him at his house," She carried his message.
I nodded and rubbed the sleepiness out of my eyes. I poured the milk, almost missing the bowl of cereal. "Thanks."
She stared at me, "What's wrong?"
"I'm just tired, okay?" I snapped.
"Well, don't need to get sassy or you won't be going nowhere," She snapped right back.
I sighed lightly and continued with my messy breakfast.
I couldn't keep myself awake for five minutes of eating, so I made myself some coffee.
After my energy was replenished and I ate, I got dressed and made my way out the door. I was praying that the air of Tulsa would wake me up.
Right when I stepped out into the outside world, everything about last night came rushing back to me. Being this aggravated about feeling tired, and remembering last night, just wanted me to force myself into a corner and disappear.
I remembered crying over Dallas, I guess I really did like him, alot maybe. If I had feelings this much for him, then I guess I've liked him for a while. I just never bothered to notice.
I felt stupid being upset over someone. Then I recalled Sodapop kissing me.
It wasn't the fact that I kissed Soda, or he kissed me, or whatever- ..well I guess it was part of this whole problem, maybe it was because one guy liked me and I liked the other. No feelings were neutral between anyone, making everything worse.

I arrived to my destination, I stood there at the gate. I finally walked in and opened the door, everyone's eyes turned to me.
I seen Daniela cuddling next to Dallas.
"Hey, Anna," Dallas hollered. "What's up?"
I swallowed, "Nothing, just Soda wanted to talk and I wanted to come over and see everybody."
He smiled at me as Daniela gave me a quick death stare. I could tell she didn't like me just by the way her attitude turned hard when I walked in.
I think it took Soda twenty or so minutes to actually come out of his room, Darry kept saying he would be down in a few minutes, that turned into a solid twenty minutes.
When Soda appeared, he took me back into his room.
"Uhmm," he started, "about last night.."
I swallowed, I didn't wanna say anything until he was done getting his thoughts spoken, plus I didn't have much to add on to the this whole situation.
"Look," he sat down, appearing as though he was ready to jump out of his skin and scream. "I know this may come as a suprise or it seems unlikely.."
It was silent, I could see he was having a hard time trying to speak what was on his mind.
I nodded him to go on.
"I've liked you for what seems like forever, maybe it has been, I dunno. I know you like Dallas and this is kind of probably useless," he cried, "but I think I love you Anna and nothin' gonna change if you ever do carry on your feelings with Dallas."
I had to take a moment and comprehend all those words that were like jumble in my mind.
"Oh, I knew it was stupid to say anything. Maybe even to kiss ya," he slammed a fist at the wall.
"Aye!" Dallas called jokingly. "Don't get rough you two!"
Sodapop got mad at hearing his voice just echo through the walls.
"It's not stupid," I finally said, not knowing what to say afterwards to complete the sentence. "It's your feelings and you can't help that. Our match is incomplete, and so are the feelings. We are all best friends and I didn't think I'd ever imagine us getting tied into relationships with each other.."
He looked at me, agreeingly. I recalled what I said just a few days ago to myself, about how I thought it'd be weird for me to be dating either of them. They were like brothers to me and vice versus.
He stared at me with a solemn look, I couldn't help but stare back.
We sat in silence for a few minutes, it was a long moment.
The room that was fulfilled with quiet and stillness was interrupted, "So what are we gonna do?"
He shook his head, "I don't know.."
I stared at the ground, I was just as confused as he was. None of this seemed to make sense to me or him.

"Soda, buddy, it's time to go to work," Darry knocked.
"I'll be out in a few," he responded.
He looked back at me, "We'll figure something out."
He pushed my hair back lightly and kissed my forehead, grabbing his hat and jacket on the way out.

I sat there for a minute until Dallas came trucking in.
"Hey, boo, what's up?" He nudged me.
"Hey and nothing," I perked. I didn't wanna have to explain that long dragged conversation that happened no more than a few minutes ago.
He cocked an eyebrow, "Sure about that?"
"Yeah," I beamed.
"I haven't seen you in a few days, what's been going on?" He asked.
"Oh, ya know, just the usual life of me." I was acting alot different than how I usually was with him, and it bothered me that I couldn't play that act.
He put an arm around me and hugged me from the side, "You sure? You ain't acting ya self Anna."
"Are you guys brothers and sister or somethin'?" Daniela piped in.
Dallas cackled as I almost died.
"Gosh, no, only best friends since we were little," Dallas laughed like it was nothing.
Daniela glared at me, "Babe, wanna go smoke a ciagrette with me?"
"Sure, let me go grab a pack from Johnny," he got up and went to Johnny.

I hate to judge, but this girl seemed like she would torture me mentally without anyone knowing. I get a bad vibe off of her everytime I seen her, and it bothered me. She had a trait that I couldn't pin point, I would find out one of these days.
Daniela turned to me, "Hi."
I smiled and stood up, "Hey."
"So, how long have you and Dallas been friends for?" She asked.
"Before we could probably walk," I smiled at the memories we shared.
"Really? How come you guys haven't been a couple atleast one time in your whole friendship?" She started up.
"No-"
"Oh, Don't tell me you guys haven't kissed or played girlfriend and boyfriend with one another," She teased.
I thought about it, "No, we haven't."
"Good, it better stay that way," She went cold. She came closer to me.
"Excuse you?" I glared at her.
In more simple words;
"You better stay away from him," She spat.
I felt her spit actually touch my face. I wiped it off, disgustingly threatened.
"Why?" I scolded, "I'm no threat."
"Oh really?" She scoffed, "I'll make sure you aren't."
"He's one of my bestfriends, he won't-"
I had to think twice about that statement.
"Watch, that pretty face of yours won't be a problem to me or him," She whispered sweetly.
She smiled, a hint of that devilish personality she characterised was hidden within that grin. I knew Hell was itching to burn me when I seen that smile slide across her face.
Her red lips and winged eyeliner smiled, too. Through that facial expression, her personality was suddenly written all over her like an open book.

Dallas returned, "What ya doing?"
"Just having a friendly talk with Anna," She winked at me and grabbed his hand.
I tried not to make myself look in shook after the words that were just conversed between us. Or mad that she grabbed his hand, I had a feeling she knows I like him. I didn't want to ruin anything between them either, Dallas rarely ever got a girlfriend that stayed. He seemed really happy with her, too.
"Yeah," I agreed and lied, "Just a nice talk with her, you got a keeper."
She smiled and nodded at me, her long, brown hair flowing graciously as she whipped around and walked out with Dallas.

I knew that from here on and out, my life wasn't going to be easy.