18: Bonita

Mondo Bongo -  joe strummer & the mescaleros

____________________________________________________

"So what's the first thing you'll say to Constance when you meet her?"

"I don't know... Let's put a little excitement into your life, d'you mind hopping on a plane with us and saving your protégé?"

Katherine rolled her eyes but chuckled, continuously flicking through the channels on the screen of the TV on the seat in front of her.

After waking up as good as new from that hectic night a week ago, the four of us booked the next flight to Rio. It only took so long because of two reasons: we had to wait until Nate and Jackie went back to Dubai and Joe needed a new passport. He may have used his own to come to Canada and didn't get followed but we couldn't risk it a second time.

Katherine had kept Christian's passport contact's number from Cairo and made a speedy order for Joe's new passport. It was hard sending Nate and Jackie back to Dubai but we couldn't even risk them knowing or worse tagging along. Amy and Evie already knew I was going to look for Christian so lying to them was useless. They just made me promise to keep them as updated as possible.

Sam wanted to come but as soon as he saw the price of the ticket he was already saying hell no.

Sure, it would have been great having a vampire as old as Jackie coming along but what they didn't know couldn't hurt them.

We'd boarded our layover flight from Houston to Rio nine hours ago and it was starting its final decent. Kate looked exhausted so did Joe across the aisle. Seventeen hours of travel would do that do anyone.

"This is your first time in Rio too isn't it." I asked.

She nodded. "I'm somewhat excited. You know, despite meeting the two women responsible for vampires."

"Apart from that yeah." I glanced out the airplane window and smiled at the pimple on a mountain I knew was Christ the Redeemer. "Rest up today and tonight we can you know... explore."

"This is not a vacation." She reminded but a ghost of a smile was on her lips.

"I know but when in Rio right? Plus, if we die tonight at least I can die knowing I've gone to Brazil."

"I'll drink to that."

Landing in such a colourful country I was taken back by how beautiful it was. It was hot all year round anyway but it being the beginning of February, it was the hottest month of the year. We travelled light of course in case of another runaway situation.

I marvelled at the music playing on the streets and looked to the large advertisement next to the airport transfer bay.

"Oh, my god." I murmured only now realising what time of year it was. "It's Carnival."