"How long were you together for again?"

"A year and six months. Matter of fact, the day I visited, when I came to the pool, the first time I saw you here," she shifted so that we were looking at each other, "was our anniversary. The gift was him checking himself into rehab. Ironic, huh?" She chuckled bitterly.

"Wow. That's a lot to take in," I hummed, "but, can I ask you something?" I shifted.

"What is it, Robyn?" She asked curiously.

"Why do you come and visit me all the time? Like some of my own family hasn't even come to visit me yet and you-"

"Because you're different. I'd rather be here with you than spending time with a bunch of people I could care less about. I enjoy putting off studio time to be with Ms. Fenty." She joked.

I raised an eyebrow, "I really hope you're not doing that Nicki."

"Nah." She replied while tugging on the drawstring of my hoodie. "I told the label I needed a few weeks off. It'll only delay the album for a little longer. I'm on a media break. The fans will understand." She explained.

"Really, though Robyn, on a serious note, you're sincere and sweet, even though it takes a little to see that side of you." She smiled.

"Oh god, am I really sweet?" I exclaimed, horrified.

"Yeah, what's wrong with that?"

"Just a week ago I told Mel that I was starting to feel more empathetic. And now it's getting worse. I need to get back to being an asshole." I put a hand to my forehead in distress.

"Oh, shut up Robyn." Nicki rolled her eyes at me.

****

Two days later

"Robyn! Robyn?" Nicki shouted, waving her hands in my face.

"Huh?" I asked, confused. Her gesture snapped me out of my daze.

"Did you even hear a word I said?" She exasperated.

"I'm sorry, I'm just kind of..." My voice trailed off. I didn't know what to say. I had so many thoughts rushing through my mind.

"Aw, are you still nervous about your mother visiting?"

"No." I denied. "No, no, I'm not." I repeated. I shook my head.

"It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than you're trying to convince me." Nicki grabbed my hand.

We stood on the beach, the silky sand under our feet, melting under our feet with every step we took. The wind whipped at our hair and faces, but I didn't mind. The breeze felt good. I was feeling sort of troubled, so Nicki suggested we go out for a walk on the beach.

My mother was coming to visit. I hadn't seen her since the day before I left for rehab. What if my progress wasn't enough? What if she didn't believe in my efforts? My mother was always a caring, understanding individual, but all of the "what if's" flying through my mind made me paranoid.

"You're fine. Trust me! From what I've heard, Mama Fenty sounds like a sensible lady. She loves you, and you're on the right track. You're her baby, she'll be able to tell." I took in a slow breath. She was right. I was acting like a crybaby for no reason.

"Okay?" She looked at me.

"Okay." I responded.

"Good. I'm glad you're better, because I've been wanting to do this the whole time."

"What's up?" I scrunched up my face.

"This!" She shoved me into the water and I landed into the waves on my back. The cold water was a shock.