Happy Birthday, Steve Rogers

a/n:
This chapter was written by one of my bestenest friends, Gem_Emerald , for the special occasion of Steve's birthday. We hope you enjoy, and don't set your backyard on fire trying to blow up a watermelon (*cough cough* we didn't do anything like that)!

--•--•--•--•--

"Cap, Cap! Hey, you alright?" A foggy voice said above him.

"Where am I? What happened?" The blonde on the ground asked.

The grass itched at the back of of his exposed arms, he could feel the dampness of the dirt seep into his shirt and blue jeans. In the sky above him bright lights exploded.

"Steve, they're just fireworks. I promise, you're safe." The voice said again, a little more in focus this time. The colorful fireworks sounded around him. A large metal arm reached down to him, pulling the soldier onto his feet.

"Um, yeah, Buck I think I'm alright." Steve said, slightly embarrassed. "Just the bright lights... loud noises... sounded lik-"

"Like bombs, I know. You started shaking when the first one went off. And then everyone came out with your cake and you looked so dazed, babe. I was really worried. I tried to get you inside but you insisted you were alright. But when you went to stand up you fell over... You've been out for ten minutes or so..." Bucky said, looking at Steve with concern in his eyes.

"Why... Why didn't you pass out, Buck?" Steve asked. "I mean, we've seen the same things... Why is it worse for me?"

"You know what Hydra did, they took away my memories. I don't remember any bombs or explosions... I just remember darkness, and then your face for the first time." Bucky ran his good arm through Steve's hair. "I'm so sorry you can't enjoy your birthday, baby. Maybe next year we can go to Europe or something, they don't have fireworks there."

Steve felt Bucky's arm wrap around his waist and he leaned into him.

"I wish I wasn't afraid, I wish I could make the memories go away." He looked at Bucky whose eyes had become glazed over.

"Steve, be glad you can remember. That you know the names of the guys in the 107th. That you know your mom's birthday, that you know your likes and dislikes. Be happy you can remember, be happy you can fear." Bucky said with a sigh.

"You're right, Buck... I'm so sorry."

"Don't be, just enjoy today."

The two boys looked up at the sky, and suddenly Steve wasn't afraid of the bright lights or the loud explosions. He was safe in Bucky's arms. He felt Bucky kiss his neck lightly.

"Happy birthday, Captain Steve Rogers." Bucky said.

Steve leaned into him and they watched the sky explode with colors, just for Steve for that one moment.