Familiar Faces

For @BuckyBarnesMystery23

---

"Steve, I'm not so sure this is a good idea." Bucky said uncertainly, rubbing at the back of his neck with his flesh hand.

"Come on, it'll be fine, Buck. Natasha said there're some guys from the 107th there." Steve replied as they left the small, two story apartment they'd recently taken to living in; the Tower had been a little too modernized for Bucky's taste, and the smaller space made it feel more like their old home.

"I know, that's why I'm worried." Bucky replied, pulling his long coat tighter as a gust of cold winter air sent a shiver down his spine. He patiently waited for Steve to lock the door and proceeded to walk beside him. "We haven't...done anything to bring back those memories. I mean, yeah we went to the museum and we watched documentaries, but these guys...if they're from the 107th, then they were captured by HYDRA. Those are memories I don't exactly miss."

Steve sighed and stopped at the curb where they waited for the signal to cross the street.

"If you want, you can stay home. But I promised I'd visit them." He said. Though he knew Steve wasn't trying to make him feel guilty, Bucky still felt a heaviness in his chest, like he owed it to Steve to go.

This time, it was Bucky's turn to sigh. The green crossing light came on, but they still stood at their end.

"I'll go. Just...can ya let them know beforehand? I wanna see them, I really do. I just don't want something bad to happen."

Steve gave him a warm smile and gave him a firm, reassuring pat on the shoulder.

"I'll tell 'em. Now let's go before we have to wait another hour to cross." He said as they both ran across the crosswalk, making it to the other end just as the light changed.

They arrived, about ten minutes later, at the local nursing home.

They entered the lobby, where a woman who couldn't have been older than 30 was waiting at the reception desk. She wore light blue scrubs and a lanyard with a name tag on it that read "Melissa." She was typing something on her computer, head pulling away from the screen but her eyes glued to it as she turned to face the boys.

"Welcome to Green Meadows, how may I help you?" She asked with a smile.

"Uh, hi, I'm supposed to be meeting a group of vets here." Steve said. As soon as she looked over and saw the face of Captain America, her brown eyes widened. "Oh! Mr- Captain-"

"Steve." He offered. Bucky almost rolled his eyes at how the blond was handling himself, as if he were trying to impress some gorgeous dame he just met at a bar. In reality, he knew Steve was just trying to be nice.

Didn't mean Bucky wasn't going to tease him for it later.

"Steve, right."  Melissa said, flustered. "They're expecting you in the ball room."

Steve nodded and thanked her, leaving Bucky in the reception area while he notified the men about his...condition. The brunet noticed Melissa's eyes follow his backside as he walked away. He laughed and shook his head, to which she shrugged.

"What can I say? Captain America ain't bad scenery." She defended.

"So I've been told." Bucky replied. 

He waited patiently for Steve to return, and when he did, he had a big, goofy grin on his face.

"They're ready for ya, Buck. You won't believe who's here." He said. Bucky followed the blond to the ballroom, where a crowd of elderly men, and a few women, sat. Some were amputees of various appendages, others were in wheelchairs for unknown ailments, and there were even a few of them in hospital beds, hooked up to monitors and accompanied by staff wearing the same light blue scrubs as the receptionist.

They all fell dead silent as Bucky entered. One of them started applauding, followed by all that were capable.

Bucky stared at them all, amazed that so many were there.

"James Buchanan Barnes. Never thought I'd say this, but I missed your sorry ass." Someone said from behind him. There was a hint of familiarity to the voice, but when Bucky turned to see who it was, there was no mistaking the mustache and bowler hat.

"Dum Dum Dugan. Good to know you haven't lost your sense of humor." Bucky returned, a smile on his face. He could practically feel Steve relax when he saw it.

Dugan extended a hand for Bucky to shake, which he cautiously did. He was somewhat surprised when Dugan shook it with a fairly strong grip. Plus Bucky was a super soldier, so that was saying something.

As it turned out, Dugan hadn't changed at all. It was all the same corny jokes, overly-exaggerated stories, and full-body laughs they'd remembered.

The rest of the men and women were happy to see them as well, and there were a bunch of familiar faces and names. There were a lot from the 107th, ones Bucky had been close to, and others that Steve had met during his tours as the "Chorus Girl."

Bucky found it hilarious when they teased him for it. But most of all, it amazed him to hear all the positive memories with him that he hardly even remembered.

"You saved me from getting torched." One man said.

"Remember when we snuck some booze into the tents?" Another asked.

"Barnes, I remember you. You were the one who got caught with that nurse, Marie."

"I'm Marie. That was Cathy, dumbass." One of the women chimed in. That made Bucky chuckle. A lot of them were just as he remembered, despite the physical changes.

Luckily, there were only a couple of instances where he had to leave for a moment because it was a little too emotional, but for the most part, it was a very positive experience.

When the two walked out of there (having to be kicked out by staff because it was getting late), they were both smiling.

"I told ya it'd be fine." Steve said.

"Shut up, punk." Bucky replied, lightly shoving his shoulder.