Chapter 2 - The Tribunal

Start from the beginning

Looking at the Prince she leaned toward the speaker, "Thanks Séverine. I'll be done shortly." Her PA held her to a tight schedule and was pleased the woman would have enough courage to interrupt her meeting with the Prince.

Sighing she asked her leader, "Prince Aaron, do you think I should preside over this Tribunal?"

"Yes, Caro, I do."

Looking at her Prince and friend she sat back in her chair. "Alright, but on the condition that you preside with me. You know all the rules for these sorts of things." Caro's plan was already being formulated in her head, she would use this opportunity to reject her so-called mate and end her torment.

The Prince stood up and held out his hand, "Agreed." She stood and shook it and let out a deep breath.

"I also insist that this Tribunal be conducted in private, with you choosing the witnesses."

The Prince dropped her hand and added, "Also agreed. I'll send you the details and naturally will pay for all expenses."

"Naturally," Caro responded.

"Will you join us for dinner tonight? We're eating at Jake's, I love their oysters and seafood." The Prince went to the door and left his hand on the doorknob.

"Of course, when are you leaving for home?" Caro asked, secretly hoping it was soon.

The Prince looked at his beautiful friend, 'if only she was my mate' he thought to himself. She was brave and would have made a spectacular Queen... "I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and a car will pick you up at 7 tonight."

"See you at dinner then," Caro said as she followed the Prince out the door. The Prince turned and read the company name on the door again, it always amused him. 'Mates Inc.' was the farthest thing from his friend's true nature and made him smile.

He walked to the elevator as his bodyguards joined him. He turned in the elevator and looked at Caro as the doors closed. If only...

Caro watched her friend leave then turned to her energetic assistant, and Séverine quickly introduced her to a 'problem' client for 'Mates Inc.', which was her successful matchmaking service for werewolves who were rejected, or whose mates were killed or dead. She also found a lucrative niche in the 'chosen mates' area for werewolves over 40 years old who had never found their mates. This was a booming business.

This man had found a problem with his prospective mate and was angry, the angry ones were sent to Caro and all the rest were sent to various associates for handling. He had read a popular book on the subject of mates called 'The Mate Manual' and it didn't work for him with the woman chosen for him. Caro was angry at whoever wrote that damn book, it was a bunch of gibberish and she patiently explained that the book was stupid and to throw the whole thing away. She tried to explain to her customer that building a relationship involved compatibility, courtesy, and spending time to learn about each other. But Caro could easily deal with the angry customers and most left satisfied with the negotiated changes. She was the Peacemaker after all.

Caro's business was far beyond the standard 'matchmaking' websites and she charged a high fee, payable upon a successful pairing. If she couldn't find a suitable mate then she didn't charge for her services. Ranks, packs, past histories, and sexual preferences intel was discretely gathered. The 'mate' business was actually quite fun and an enjoyable diversion.

Caro also did some more charitable pairings for Omegas and 'lone wolf' females if their situation warranted it- she handled as many of these as she could since it was so rewarding. She had boxes of photos of mating ceremonies, weddings, and babies. She loved the photos of the children and reached into her drawer to look at her most recent picture, the toddler was smiling and cute with her beaming parents. They had been relocated after a war a few years ago and they had rebuilt their lives in a new pack. It made her feel good.