Part 3/3

Emma was watching TV in the living room when she heard the phone ring. She looked around for a moment, feeling as if she shouldn't answer the phone in someone else's home. Then she reminded herself that this was technically her home and Killian was not there to answer it anyway.

"Hello?" she said, as she hesitantly picked it up.

"Hi, Emma, it's your...it's Mary Margaret."

"Oh, hi," Emma said, her brow rising in surprise.

"I wanted to apologize for what happened earlier. David and I didn't mean to pressure you or overwhelm you. We're just worried."

Emma nodded. "I know."

"We'd like to get to know who you are right now, if you'll let us."

Emma smiled. "I'd like that."

Mary Margaret chewed on her lower lip nervously. "There's something else. Your little brother has been asking to see you. David and I think he's too young to understand that you don't remember him or us, so we haven't told him anything about what's happening with you. But we were wondering if we could come by tonight so you two could spend some time together. If you're not comfortable with that though, then we understand."

Emma took a deep breath, as she considered the request. "Okay, sure."

Mary Margaret smiled. "Great. We'll be over soon."

Emma hung up the phone and returned to watching TV. A half hour later, the doorbell rang. Emma brushed aside the fleeting feeling that she shouldn't answer the door in someone else's home as she walked to it. She opened the door and found Mary Margaret, David, and a little boy with dark hair and blue eyes standing in front of her.

"Hi," Emma said, managing a smile.

"Emma!" Neal screamed and ran forward, hugging her lower half.

Emma's eyes widened for a moment. David stepped forward to pry Neal off of her.

"Neal, give Emma some space."

Emma recovered quickly and bent down to Neal. She licked at her lips apprehensively.

"Hi, Neal," she said.

"I missed you, Emma. I haven't seen you in like a week." he said.

Emma swallowed hard. "I missed you too."

Emma stood and moved aside, so they could all enter. They moved to the living room and sat down on the couch. An awkward silence ensued.

Emma finally broke it. "So, Neal, um, you like dinosaurs, right?"

Emma took a stab in the dark. Most little boys liked dinosaurs.

He nodded excitedly. "You know I do!"

"I found this cool show on dinosaurs on On Demand today. Would you like to watch it with me?"

Neal nodded his head so hard she thought it would fall off. "Yeah!"

Emma found the program and turned it on. Neal stared at it with rapt attention. Emma looked at him, a smile on her lips.

She'd always wanted a sibling. She never stayed long enough in any foster home to feel connected to other children. In school, the other kids would talk about their brothers and sisters, and it was just one more thing that made her feel different and alone. She wished she had someone to play with, someone to look out for her. Of course, she never would have guessed she'd have a sibling so much younger than herself, but she still liked the idea of having one.

Neal moved closer to Emma, placing his head on her arm. She flinched for a second, then relaxed. She moved her arm to wrap around him, as they watched the program together.