Part 2/3

Late that afternoon, as he and Emma were looking through family photo albums, Killian's cell phone rang. He answered it on the second ring.

He sighed heavily, as he listened to the person on the other end. "Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can." He hung up and looked at Emma. "I'm sorry, I have to leave for a bit. With you unable to be sheriff right now and your father having changed careers, it falls to me, the deputy sheriff, to see to any emergencies."

Emma bobbed her head. "That's right. I forgot. You mentioned she...I...am sheriff earlier."

Killian nodded, as he stood. "Aye. I won't be long." He paused and looked at the baby monitor. "Lia should sleep the entire time. Are you okay to stay with her?"

Emma felt her heart begin to race. "You're just going to leave your daughter alone with a complete stranger?"

Killian shook his head. "No, I am going to leave my daughter alone with my wife. Emma, you're her mother, even if you don't remember it. And in the reality you remember, you never gave Henry away. You must have cared for him when he was young, so you have experience caring for a child."

Emma's eyes narrowed. "Wait, do you mean in this reality I gave my son away?"

"Aye. You gave him up for adoption and he was adopted by Regina."

"The Evil Queen adopted my son?" Emma shook her head sharply. "Where is Henry now?"

"He is away at college in Massachusetts. He's fine."

Emma rubbed at her head. It was beginning to ache. "Look, I barely took care of Henry as a baby. I was in a home for unwed mothers and the lady who ran it did most of the work."

Killian's expression softened. "Emma, I know this is all new to you, but you are a wonderful mother. You're a natural. You have great maternal instincts." He paused.
"I'll be back before you know it and I'm sure she'll sleep the entire time."

Killian leaned down to give her a kiss on the lips, something he did automatically. He stopped himself before he made contact and dropped his eyes.

"Sorry," he muttered, before straightening.

Emma didn't respond, as she watched him leave.

...

Killian hadn't been gone ten minutes when Lia started wailing on the baby monitor. Emma's eyes grew wide in panic. She sat still for a few long minutes, hoping the crying would stop. When it didn't, Emma reluctantly walked up the stairs and into Lia's room.

The little girl was standing in her crib and immediately stopped crying when she saw Emma, her arms stretching out towards her.

"Mama! Come here!"

Emma hesitantly moved to the crib, but didn't reach out to pick her up. Lia grabbed at her arms, trying to get her to lift her out of the crib. Finally, Emma leaned down and picked Lia up. The little girl wrapped her arms around her neck and placed her head on her shoulder. Emma smiled, as she slowly brought her hand up to rub her back. She walked over to the rocking chair and sat down. She began to rock back and forth, as Lia gradually drifted off to sleep.

"You're a good little girl, aren't you? And you don't understand any of this. I'm sorry, Lia. I wish I could be the mother you deserve." She paused and added, "I wish I could be the wife your father deserves. He's a good man and a great husband. I can tell that already. This life we supposedly have together seems wonderful."

"It is," she heard from the doorway.

Emma was startled by the voice. She looked up and saw Killian standing in the doorway, a smile on his lips at the sight of his two favorite girls.