Sasuke growled. "Speak," he ordered, shaking her.

Katsu set her jaw. "No. I'm not releasing you of the jutsu."

"What?!" Sasuke fumed, his eyes flashing red with his sharingan.

"You heard me..." Katsu murmured as she swayed slightly in his grasp. She suddenly felt so tired. Of course! She'd forgotten. He possessed a technique that could drain one of their chakra.

"R-release me!" she demanded.

Sasuke hissed as if he'd been burned as his hands instantly complied, letting her go.

Kakashi pulled her toward him in order to steady her. "Are you alright?" he asked.

Instead of answering, she said, "What happened to Deidara and Sasori?"

"They left soon after releasing that clay beast. Clearly, they thought it was strong enough to finish us both off. It's dead now."

"Thanks to me," Sasuke growled.

Kakashi's dark grey eye drifted slowly to Sasuke. "No," he said. "Thanks to Katsu. You wouldn't have saved her if she hadn't forced you to."

Sasuke sneered. "Oh, you don't know what I would have done, old man-"

"I'm twenty four," Kakashi interjected casually.

"Yes, perhaps I would have allowed her to become a stain on this fine forest soil," Sasuke continued without pause. "Or rather, I would have graciously saved her helpless life just to steal her away from you while you wasted time battling those Akatsuki members. Just to teach you a lesson."

"And what lesson is that?"

"That I'm ten times the an you'll ever be."

Kakashi chuckled. "Really? Is that what you think?"

"Oh, I don't know," Sasuke replied sarcastically, hands on his hips. "Was I not clear enough when I said those exact words?"

"That's enough, you two!" Katsu interjected, causing both of them to look at her. "Were you able to find out anything about Erika?" she asked Kakashi.

Kakashi looked at her steadily and Katsu could tell, even through his mask, that he was frowning. In the midst of our battle, they threatened that...much worse is to come. That Erika should surely not be our top priority. They're planning something. Both the Akatsuki and Orochimaru. Erika is meant to play a key part in their plans, but until then, we can be sure they won't harm her. They need her too much and that girl is too stubborn to do anything for them if they hurt her first. For the time being, she is safe."

Katsu felt a wave of relief wash over her, though it was soon replaced with an icy foreboding. "But the Leaf..." she began.

"Is not," Kakashi finished. "The enemies are preparing for a mass war."

Katsu glared at Sasuke. "What do you know about all of this?"

Sasuke sneered. "Like I would tell you anything-"

"Tell me," she ordered.

He scowled. "Enjoy this new power of yours while you have it. It won't last forever. And I'll never forget an offense like this." He then shrugged his shoulders. "Orochimaru and the Akatsuki plan to eventually attack the Village Hidden in the Leaves to the point of its utter destruction."

Katsu looked at Kakashi in shock. His gaze had turned cold. "What else?"

Sasuke's eyes turned to Katsu, directing his answer to her instead. "Well, sweetheart, that little scroll you stole from us, remember it?"