Chapter One - Scottish Beauty

Start from the beginning

“I believe ye are right Robbie, but once I explain to Da the need to protect what is ours, I’m sure that he will come around,” Andrew replied.

Despite the awaiting confrontation, the future laird expected to be greeted with relieved faces and gratitude from his people and pushed his horse to a hard gallop.   All the others followed close behind as the valley passed them by.  Down into the meadow, there was a stream where they could rest for a few moments, stretch their weary legs and give the horses a much needed drink before reaching home.

Andrew, being the first to dismount, kneeled along the stream’s edge and cupped water in the palms of his hands.  He took a long drink before cupping more water and washing away all the dust and sweat from his face.

Ian, his brown hair gleaming in the sun, fell beside him and did the same.   “How long will we rest for Andrew?” Ian asked him.   “I’m tired, hungry and cannot wait to return home.”

“Ye were always the whiniest of the four of us Ian.   We’ll be home in about an hour,” Andrew answered, an annoyed look upon his face.   “I swear ye should have been born a lass for all the interest you have in raiding and sparring.”

“I can handle myself in a fight, I stayed with ye this morn,” Ian answered, standing up for himself.   He was tired of always having the same conversation with his brothers.   He just wasn’t a fighter as they were.

“That may be, but why is it ye make yourself scarce whenever we spar?” Andrew asked him.

As they bickered, Andrew’s sharp eye spied a crumpled plaid beyond Ian’s position at the brook.  The colours, uncommon to a Highlander’s, reminded him of hues worn by Lowlanders.

But what would a Lowlander’s plaid being doing here in the Highlands?

Ian started to reply, but noticed the hard look on his brother’s face and turned to see what had caught his eye.  

 “Tis a plaid Andrew, a Lowlander plaid,” he offered.

“Aye, that’s what I see.   I better go have a closer look,” Andrew suggested, aware that there might be danger lurking.   “Ian, are ye coming?”

Stepping through the stream, not caring that their boots were getting soaked, the brother’s reached the plaid.    It was torn in several places and there were long strands of red hair clumped in one corner of the plaid.   Ian swiped it with his big hand and presented it to Andrew.

“Tis a lassie’s hair Andrew,” Ian observed.  “What’s a woman doing out here?” he questioned, holding up some of the strands as he admired them.

“I’m not sure Ian, but we best have a look around,” Andrew replied. 

Skilled hunters they both were, each took a separate direction in search of the woman.  The lush foliage in their surroundings could easily hide her.   But shortly, Andrew spotted a body partially covered by some bushes.