3.

{Brynjolf POV}

I walked through the forest, one my hands around some dead bird that has flown into my trap. My feet were hurting and I sighed. Vipir promised me some mead at the Bee And Barb if I would clear out his hunting traps for him. I gladly accepted his offer, yearning for a bottle of the alcoholic beverage, but now I was walking for so long, I started to doubt if it was really worth it. I held my eyes onto the ground, trying not to step in one of the other hunter's bear traps on my way to the last trap. However, when I arrived at the trap where a rabbit should've hung upside down, I found an empty rope. Strange, it was activated, but there was no prey. It had been stolen, I was sure of it. Sulking a bit, I reset the trap and went back to Riften. At least I had a bird, so I wouldn't return to Vipir empty-handed. He was waiting for me at the gate, his arms crossed and a small look of disappointment on his face when he saw that the only harvest was a bird. 'It's not your fault, Brynjolf.' 'However, I noticed that one of the traps has been pillaged.' Vipirs smile fell and he narrowed his eyes. 'A thief?' I nodded, frowning slightly. 'Well... Anyways, let's go to Marise Aravel. She can pay us some good coin for these.' We went to the Dunmer woman to sell it and she bought it gladly. When I pushed open the door, the smell of fresh food penetrated my nose. 'Sweet Mara... I'm starving!' Vipir muttered, walking over to the bar and buying us some food and a drink. 'Hey, our deal was some mead, not more than that.' Vipir smiled. 'Hey don't worry. You're my friend. It's alright.' I smiled back at him. 'Thank you.' I took a bite of my fresh turnover and closed my eyes to let the sweet taste erupt in my mouth. However, I didn't hear the door opening and light footsteps walking to the bar. As I opened my eyes again, my eyes fell directly on the figure. 'T-That's him!' Vipir followed my gaze?' 'Sorry?' 'The Shadow!' He looked at the dark figure intensely. 'Hm... Might say he looks rather intimidating. Dark cloak and all. And a wolf.' I watched as the wolf curled up at the feet of the person, a few people backing off slightly scared. The figure was talking to Keerava, but I couldn't hear their dialogue over the chatting of other people. Suddenly, Maramal, a priest of the Temple of Mara walked up to the middle of the inn and shushed everyone who was talking. 'People of Riften, heed my words. The return of the dragons is not mere coincidence. This is one of the signs. The signs that Lady Mara is displeased with your constant inebriation. Put down your flagons filled with your vile liquids, and embrace the teachings of the handmaiden of Kyne.' I saw Keerava shoot him an annoyed glare. 'No, no, Maramal... We talked about this... Talen...' The Argonian male put the tankard he was cleaning down. 'Keerava, certainly we can come to some sort of understanding? These people must be made aware of the chaos they've sown!' the priest tried. 'Enough, Maramal. We've all heard of the dragons and their return. There's no need to use them as an excuse to harass our customers.' I saw him slightly stiff of anger under his robes. 'Very well, Talen. I'll remove myself from this den of iniquity.' Talen-Jei put a hand on his shoulder. 'We're not kicking you out, just keep the sermons at the temple and let us all sit in peace.' Maramal shrugged off Talen-Jei's scaled hand and went to the bar. 'But you know that Mara only sent me to warn you, because she loves you. She is the goddess of love! Don't you love her back?' He turned to the dark figure. 'How about you? Do you love Mara?' I heard the figure chuckle and shake its head while it brought its mead to its lips to take a sip. 'I lost my ability to love a long time ago.' I tilted my head slightly and opened my ears better. 'If you want someone to rant about your words of love, then don't come to me.' The voice sounded rather... Feminine? Was the Shadow a... woman? I blinked a couple of times, not expecting a woman to have such skill in thievery. 'Whatever you say.' Maramal walked away from her. I stepped towards her, wanting to see her a bit better. 'Excuse me, young lady--' She turned towards me sharply and I saw a pair of (e/c) eyes stare into mine as she gasped. Before I could even realize what was happening, she jumped from her bar stool and rushed out of the door, followed by her wolf. 'What was that?' Vipir asked, his brow raised. I looked at the opening door confused. 'That was the Shadow. It's a girl. And I have no idea why she ran.'