Chapter 1: Veronica

"You're mine now, Veronica

"You're mine now, Veronica."

I feel a presence in my room but continue to fake sleep. I don't want to see that man; he is a murderer. I sense him standing beside the bed, knowing that I would have to get up for school. He was aware that I wasn't sleeping, he always knows, ever since that day ten years ago.

It was a chillier night than most, and I had woken to find that my comforter was on the floor, farther away from my bed. I heard my mother's voice, she and daddy had been fighting lately, and I hoped that they were finally starting to get along. I sneak my way out of my room, noticing that it had gone quiet, making my way down to mommy's room. I don't want to interrupt, but when I look in the bedroom, I see a man sitting next to mommy, he had no shirt and was unfamiliar.

Mommy looked over at me and murmured "Veronica" I covered my mouth as the man looked my way, a look of fear entering his eyes before mommy lets out a loud breath. She is still and that person is just staring at me. Suddenly he comes my way, and I yell for Daddy.

"Daddy!" I scream, and the man in front of me is next to me.

"You're mine now, Veronica."

I saw him again at my mother's funeral. He was dressed in a suit, keeping his eyes on the casket, holding a single red rose in his hand. Why had my mother's murderer bothered to say goodbye? Nobody paid attention to him, though, I didn't understand why they couldn't see him until somebody walked straight through him.

He had come to me later that night and again told me that I was his. Over the next ten years, he came to see me every night. When I got to twelve he started to hang around longer, I was growing but he was not.

At age thirteen he left me for a few weeks, but when he came back, he was different, eyes brighter, body stronger. I wondered but didn't care enough to ask him where he had gone. All I knew was that he had changed. He became less moody and needier as my body started to change as well, curves attracted him and about every other guy in school.

He seemed to hate it when I brought boys home, especially the older men who just wanted to touch. Once when I was fourteen, I had brought a guy home, letting him cop a feel even though I had never let a man treat me as such. When Roman walked in he was so mad. He pulled the guy off of me, making me cover myself. Roman threw the boy out and later that night disappeared for a little while. When he came back, he seemed like he was completely fine, as if nothing had happened. Roman waited until he thought I had fallen asleep to do what he had wanted all night and he kissed me.

I panicked and pushed him away, but he just leaned in and tried for another. I told him to stop, but he just grasped my hands and pinned them beside me. After a moment more he moves away from me, giving me an angered glare. "Don't let a man that doesn't love you touch you, ever." He left after that incident and didn't come back to see me for another month. That was the last time he left me.