The Drunken Truth [15]

Depuis le début

"Eliot! Please, I don't want him dead. I just want him gone."

Eliot slips from my hold and storms out of the living room, I follow him hesitantly. 

"She is mine! I am taking her home now so move out of my way you mutt!" His ragged voice sends a shiver down my spine as I step out from my hiding place. 

"She isn't going anywhere with you." Emily spits harshly and I'm surprised at her tough attitude towards him.

I take a step closer, my breath hitching as I catch sight of his messy dark greying hair and my sensitive nose picks up the smell of stale alcohol. My eyes drop to his hand that's holding a bottle of half-empty scotch. As I raise my eyes, his dark menacing eyes meet mine. A sinister smile overtakes his lips.

Jack.

He takes a step towards me and I stumble back just as Eliot moves to stand protectively in front of me. Chase shoves Jack hard and he nearly trips over backwards out of the door. Jack simply grips the outside wall of the house and focuses his attention on me. I swallow nervously.

"Meredith baby, it's time to come home." I wrinkle my nose as his speech slurs slightly. How long has he been drinking for? He's a complete mess.

"I'm not coming back with you." I whisper. I want to scream at him, maybe throw a few things at his face but my confidence is on the floor. 

Jack's eyes narrow and an animalistic growl escapes his lips. My eyes widen in terror as he tries lunging for me.

"You are not keeping my child from me! Get out here now before I drag you by your hair!" I whimper and cling onto the back of Eliot's shirt.

Chase manages to hold Jack back, grunting at the strain it takes to keep him out of the house. Eliot places a hand on my hip and rubs it comfortingly, making sure to pull me closer so I'm pressed against his back. His muscles are rigid and tight with tension as he glares hatefully at Jack.

"You're drunk. Leave." Eliot demands. 

"Not without her."

"Yes without her. She's not coming back with you. Leave now Jack."

Jack sneers and looks over at me hiding behind Eliot.

"Your precious Alpha won't be around forever to protect you... Or his filthy Beta. I'll get you eventually love."

Chase gives him one final shove and Jack stumbles back before turning around and leaving himself. I let out a sigh of relief, resting my head against Eliot's back as Chase closes the door. I feel a hand rubbing my back, most likely Emily as Eliot is standing like a statue for me to lean on.

"That is the second time I've heard the term Beta from him. Will someone please explain to me what the hell is going on and why everyone keeps growling like animals?!" I vent against Eliot's back. 

"He's drunk Mer, he doesn't know-" Emily begins but Eliot cuts her off.

"We should tell her." I lift my head as Eliot turns to face me.

I take in all their expressions and I get an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

"Tell me what?" I ask in a shaky voice.

Emily grabs my hand and pulls me back into the living room where she makes me sit down. She sits down beside me as Eliot perches on the coffee table in front of me. Chase hovers near the door. I bite my lip as Eliot rubs a hand roughly over his face.

"I know that this is going to sound crazy and you probably won't believe us but please just stay calm and hear us out." Emily says as she rubs the back of my hand that is now clutched tightly in hers.

"OK."

Eliot takes a deep breath.

"You've noticed the growling from us all and the weird little things that don't really make sense right? Like the doctors we have on hand and the protectiveness we all feel over you."

I nod for him to continue.

"Remember when you went shopping with Emily for the first time and we greeted you at the door when you got back... Do you remember how you felt when you saw me?"  He asks softly, a twinkle of hope sparkles in his eyes.

"I- uh- yeah it was... sparks. The air seemed to crackle around us and I got butterflies in my stomach. It felt like we had-"

"Connected." Eliot finishes. 

"Yeah." I whisper. His intense gaze seems to bring back those exact butterflies. I shake my head. "But how does that connect to the growling and Amber and the Beta thing?"

Emily is anxious as she squeezes my hand. Eliot breaths out slowly before speaking. His next words nearly knock me off my seat.

"We're werewolves, Meredith." 

For a moment I just stare at him. Then a slight chuckle escapes my lips. But I sober up at the serious expression on his face. And then my heart plummets into my stomach.

"Oh God." I breathe.

And that's when I pass out.