Chapter 24: Cold bodies and warm lips

Magsimula sa umpisa

My jaw drops. "Whoever attacked him when you guys were up there on stage shouldn't even be invited." I snap. 

"Beatrice," Jennifer warns and I hold back the urge to roll my eyes. I understand my dad's point, but seriously, if they can't understand that Justin is a good person, then why bother showing up or being rude. If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all. I know I was quick to judge as well, but I was just in shock from Justin's action. My mind's been cleared and now I know for sure that Justin doesn't mean any harm and everyone should get that through their thick skulls.

"Look, we just don't think it's the best idea if he attends. There's still some time left, so we don't need to worry about this yet." Jennifer places a hand on my dad's shoulder.

I stand up, mumbling incoherently to them before escaping to my bedroom. Milo was sleeping on my bed and I joined him, scratching behind his ears. 

Today I had plans to take Justin out to the indoor field where Noah goes to train for soccer during winter time. Dad knows the guy who owns the indoor field and agreed to let us use it for a night. This was part of getting Justin to open up and enjoy his time here in New York. 

A few hours later, Mr. Lawfeld leaves and I'm quick to call out to Justin. "We're leaving!" I call out to my dad. "Alright, keep me updated on how everything is going. I might send Noah to check up on you guys every couple of hours." Dad says. That was another one of our rules. Since I was taking Justin somewhere away from our home, we needed someone to come check up on us every now and then. I didn't mind that much.

I drive us to the indoor field and we head inside. The field is large and covered in fake grass. Two big nets were on either side of the field and the bright stadium lights shone down on us.

I pulled out a soccer ball and kicked it over to Justin. I'm not the best at soccer, but I've played a few times. I know Noah is pretty good at it from the few times that dad forced me to attend his games, but also because he's got a whole lot of trophies and medals around the house. 

Justin just stares at the ball. "Come on," I urge him, "Just kick it the ball to the net." 

He blinks. 

I'm about to speak up again when before I know it, Justin is gliding his leg back and with all his strength kicking it from one end of the field to the other, getting it right in the net. The ball swivels so quickly in the air, I'm standing there in shock, trying to comprehend how he did that.

He looks at me as if to say 'there, happy?' and I just look gobsmacked. 

"How did you..." I trail off, shaking my head. This man has super strength or something because there is no way someone who hasn't played soccer before be able to kick a soccer ball and get it into the net that's so far down the field. I mean this indoor field wasn't your average indoor field. It's one of the best for the best players out there.

"That was awesome!" I finally exclaim, sprinting down to the other end of the field. We continue to pass the ball back and forward and even kick it up to the ceiling before I start laughing about how we were so going to get into trouble if we broke a light or anything.

Not only do we play soccer, but we just start to act silly by rolling down on the fake grass from one side of the field the other. It's so great to see Justin's smile back on his face as we do so and I can't help, but stare at him in awe. He's just so beautiful. 

We were currently chasing each other around the field. Justin was sprinting behind me and I couldn't help but shriek as he got closer and closer. His long legs took long, quick, strides as he sprinted behind me and I forced myself to move faster.