Preface

Closer Than You Realize

Preface

     Sometimes to not know something is easier than to know it at all.

     But sometimes, not knowing is the exact thing that can drive you away from someone you care about.

     Communication is key in a relationship, and when it's not there, neither is your relationship.

     I always believed that not knowing was the better choice. I thought that if I didn't know something, then it couldn't hurt me. But I was wrong.

     I didn't learn just how wrong I actually was until my senior English class when I read Robert Frost's Home Burial with a friend of mine, a short story of a man and a woman who, having lost a child, no matter what they tried, could not get along with each other.

     Like many couples, they lacked an understanding of each other. The woman couldn't believe the man could act the way he did, and the man didn't understand why his wife continuously got upset with him. Their relationship was filled with miscommunication and they just couldn't get along, opening my eyes and leading me to the realization that unless I communicated with others and didn't jump to mindless conclusions based off of insufficient information, I'd never get anywhere in life except in a whole lot of debt surrounded by people who only merely tolerated me. 

     That is, unless I changed.