Ch. 5 - Kendrick

"Get them mules harnessed!"
Kendrick lowered his head and did as he was told.
The farm life was never easy, especially for a boy like Kendrick.
The problem was, there weren't any other boys like Kendrick. All the other farmer boys could easily handle any crop. Kendrick's three older brothers were especially good at it.
But not Kendrick. He was the disgrace; the embarrassment.
Jasper, the eldest brother, walked by just then. He swatted his hand across the back if Kendrick's head.
"You best hurry up," He said. "Us real men gotta get these crops planted."
Anger boiled in Kendrick, and his face became heated.
"What's wrong little brother?" Leonard murmured from around the barn corner.
Kendrick wiped the anger away, but it was too late. Leonard made his way over to the Kendrick and stopped short of touching, nose to nose.
"I don't know what makes you think you got the right to show your anger, Ken. You're useless, you can't even plant a seed. So when Paw tells you to do somethin', you best do it. 'Cause that's the only thing your good for anyhow."
Leonard turned and walked off, snickering under his breath. Kendrick sighed and went back to harnessing the mules.
They were right, of course. Kendrick knew he was useless. The farmer who couldn't farm. Some people, who weren't farmers, would say he was mistreated, never getting the love of a parent. Farmers knew better. Kendrick knew better. He was a crippled point in his family. They could do without him; in fact they'd probably do better without him.
"'Bout time." His father yanked the reins out if Kendrick's hand, snapping him out of his thoughts.
"Get goin' Kenny!" Sham, the third oldest son, called as the four men walked towards the feilds.
Kendrick wiped his dirty hand across his forehead. It left streaks, but he didn't care. All that mattered was that he was away from his family for now.
Out of his pocket he pulled his mother's grocery list. Seeing as how he couldn't farm, he was often sent to run errands for his mother, father, or anyone else in the town.
He was basically a servant.
But he didn't mind. It gave him time alone. And if he was lucky, time to meet up with his only true friend.
Camren was a short but very fit boy. He had toned muscles that came with the life of a blacksmith's son. He had wavy black hair, thick eyebrows, and deep brown eyes. His wardrobe was the same every day; leather breeches with a cotton shirt.
As for his family, Camren was an only child with a mother and a father who were happily married. They loved Camren very much and protected him like good parents should.
Basically, Camren had the polar opposite of Kendrick's family. But he showed Kendrick something not many others did. Sympathy.
Not pity, really. He didn't give Kendrick that look, where his eyes say, "I'm so sorry for how you have to live." But if they were talking, Camren made sure not to go too far into how great his life was. He was sure not to boast.
By now, Kendrick had reached the town square. To his delight, a short boy was waving his hands in the air, not four feet away.
"Camren!" Kendrick yelled.
The boy ran to Kendrick and they shook hands.
"It's been a while!" Camren said.
"Yeah, Ma didn't seem to have many errands in town." Kendrick replied.
The two friends walked to the butcher's store as they talked.
"So how's the family?" Kendrick asked.
"Ah, same old Dad, always makin' new things and teachin' me how to do the same. Mom still frets over the house, whether or not it's clean enough."
Kendrick laughed. "Yeah, you're mom sure does like to-"
"Ow!"
Kendrick stumbled back from the girl he'd knocked over.
"I'm so sorry!" He said, rushing over to her. He grabbed her forearms and lifted her.
She was much lighter than Kendrick had expected, so when he lifted her she practically flew up. He had to steady her before she fell again.
And by that time, they were face to face, almost touching.
Until now, the girl's hood had concealed any major features. But now Kendrick could see her flowing blonde hair inside the hood. Wide, deep blue eyes stared back at him.
"I..." Kendrick stammered. "I'm sorry."
The girl didn't move.
"It's not a problem..." she said.
They parted awkwardly and slowly, and the girl scurried off. Kendrick watched her go.
"Ahem." Camren said, elbowing Kendrick. "You uh, ready to go?"
"Huh? Oh...yeah." He replied.
But his mind was still on the girl he didn't even know.