Chapter 12: Who You Are

Start from the beginning

But Caspian was not about to let the conversation finish like that. "And if we had just stayed here, like I suggested, then they definitely would be." He said, raising his voice slightly.

"You called us, remember?" Peter said, facing him once again.

"My first mistake." Caspian said.

"Caspian." It was my turn to scold him. I agreed that Peter was overreacting slightly, but he did not deserve for Caspian to treat him like this.

"No," Peter laughed bitterly. "Your first mistake was thinking that you could lead these people." Again, he walked away.

"Hey!" Caspian shouted. Everyone seemed to take a step back by this outburst. Even Peter stopped in his tracks to face him. I had never heard Caspian shout like that in his whole life. At that moment, I was terrified of him. "I am not the one who abandoned Narnia."

"You invaded Narnia." Peter accused, pointing his finger at him again. Caspian pushed past him. But Peter was not done. "You have no more right to be here than Miraz does. You, him, your father." Caspian stopped. I could almost see his anger rise. "Narnia is better off with the lot of you!"

Caspian screamed and took out his sword. Peter drew his sword as well. I had had enough of this. I ran in between the two of them.

"Stop it!" I yelled. But another voice shouted at the same time I did. We all turned to see a young man, who I assumed was King Edmund, judging by having the same face as Peter. He was carrying the red-haired dwarf, who seemed to be dead. Lucy ran past Peter, Caspian, and I and towards the dwarf, as Edmund set the dwarf on the ground. I followed her, quickly forgetting about the two men with the swords.

She knelt by the dwarf's side and reached for something attached to her hip. I watched as she produced what looked like a vial filled with some sort of fluid and poured a single drop into the dwarf's mouth. Could that be the juice of the fireflower? A moment passed then the dwarf coughed and squirmed, showing signs of life. He opened his eyes and looked at everyone crowded around him.

"What are you all standing around for?" He said gruffly. "The Telmarines will be here soon enough." We all looked around at each other and went to the ruins. I stooped to help the dwarf up. "Thank you." He called to Lucy. "My dear little friend." Lucy smiled brightly and helped me lift the dwarf to his feet.

"Was that the juice of the fireflower?" I asked Lucy, no longer able to hold back my curiosity.

"Yes," She nodded, and smiled. "Who are you?"

"Oh, I am Aurina, your Grace." I said, bowing slightly. "I am a friend of Caspian's."

"Please," She waved her hand dismissively. "I never much cared for all that formality. Just call me Lucy."

"As you wish." I replied. We walked towards the ruins, as she let me hold her vial of precious juice. I cradled it in my hands as if it were fine jewelry. "This is the most powerful medicine of all." I gawked. "They say that one drop could cure any injury. I have only heard stories, but never imagined it to be true."

"Are you interested in medicine?" Lucy asked.

I blushed. "I am only a novice. My mother was the true master of medicine." My voice dropped off at the mention of my mother. But I was no longer sad. For we had entered the ruins, only to enter a massive room, filled with Narnian creatures. They were all either sharpening, gathering, or even making their own weapons. It was an amazing sight. "What is this place?" I asked in wonderment.

"This is Aslan's How." Lucy replied.

My head spun. Yesterday, if you had told me that I would be standing in Aslan's How, in the middle of centaurs and minotaurs, and conversing with the Kings and Queens of Old, I might have slain you with my sword. I was standing in the very spot Narnians had built to honor Aslan. Every story Professor ever told me was standing right in front of me. It was such an overwhelming sensation. "This is... impossible." I said out loud.

"I've learned to believe in the impossible." Lucy said. "Come on, I'll show you where we sleep."

On our way to the sleeping quarters, which Lucy told me was more a sleeping cave, I saw Peter, sitting alone fiddling with his sword. He looked solemn and angry. I had had enough of his behavior so I excused myself from Lucy and went over to him to try and talk some sense into him. "Are you alright?" I asked, not at all concerned if he was or not.

Peter looked up at me, the flame of his previous argument still lit in his blue eyes. "I'm fine." He said through clenched teeth.

"Good. Then there is no issue." I spat.

"I really don't want to go into it. Especially not with the likes of you." He replied, standing up as if he were to walk away.

But he failed to recognize the anger I had in me. I grabbed his arm, forcing him to stand still. "What is that supposed to mean? Not with the likes of me?" I exclaimed. "Is it because I am a Telmarine? Because I assure you, that you would not be alive if I was loyal to Miraz. I would not be here if I was loyal to Miraz. You have been nothing but cross with me ever since we escaped from that castle, and now you are placing your frustrations on others."

"I am not the one you should be angry with. Caspian is at fault-" Peter dared to look me straight in the eye. He was brave, even I had to admit that, but he was foolish.

"I am angry with both you and Caspian. You two are supposed to be leaders. And instead of leading, you are bickering amongst yourselves like children."

Peter opened his mouth, but I held up my finger to quiet him. "No, you are not to speak right now."

"I am the High King of Narnia." He stated with venom in his voice. "You do not tell me to be silent."

He looked at me as if he expected me to back down. I did not. I only stared deeper into his eyes. "I am not telling you to be silent. I am telling you to act like a man. Because, right now, I do not see a man. I see a spoiled child who is angry that he is not getting his way." He rolled his eyes and took a step back, running his fingers through his blonde hair. "In your absence, have you forgotten what it means to be a great ruler?" I continued. "When you are a king, no matter what happens or who truly is to blame, you are always at fault."

"So that's it, then?" He exclaimed, gesturing wildly. "I'm supposed to sit here and just accept the fact-"

"I am not finished!" I yelled so loud that many of the Narnians around us stopped and looked at the two of us. I stuck my face into his, so he could see the anger in my eyes. "Being a king is a big responsibility, no one is denying that. The truth is anyone could be king. Any man can sit on a chair and wear a silly crown on their head and call themselves a ruler. But what makes a true king, what separates the greats from the mediocre, is the ability to admit their mistakes and try to better themselves. And right now, right here, Peter, is when you get to decide what kind of king you actually are. I hope you make the wise decision." With that, I turned on my heels and walked away.

As I spoke, I could see into his crystal blue eyes. I saw that my words hurt him. But I knew that I was right, and I was not sorry for what I said.