Chapter 1

He wandered through the Arbor Wilds, alone and tired. Thinking, ever working through the problems he had caused. He considered every option available, but none seemed a good plan. Time had seemed to slow with the breaking of his heart. Everything he had seen had only seen to deepen that ache.

More than anything, the lone wolf wanted to find his love. He knew she was here, this was her time, she had told him as much unknowingly. She had said that they had loved in the future, it had been hard to believe, but impossible to disproove. He trusted he would find her, but for now he had other things to think about.

It had been two weeks since Solas had awoken from euthenera. So much time had passed since his betrayal, and the world had long forgotten all he had done. They no longer heard the stories of his valor, they no longer whispered his name in respect. Instead his name was invoked as a curse. Say they "Fen'Harel take you", "Fen'Harel guide you", and of the like. His heart ached for what they could never know.

His dismay only stretched the further he strayed from his castle. The people, they were so lost, their stories were merely legend. They truly knew nothing of the ancient elves, of him, of the others. They knew nothing, and it was utterly disappointing.

As he approached a small camp he lowered the cowl from his head, letting the sun beam down and warm the top of his head. He took a steadying breath before walking in. The eyes of the humans around him bored weary holes into his form. He swallowed hard as he opened the door to the tavern and entered.

Upon his entrance many of the dwellers within stopped their chattering and looked upon him with curious gazes. When he met their eyes without fear they looked back to their drinks and their companions. He licked his lips as he sat down at a table in the corner of the room. He always sat there, away from the crowd, wherever he could see the entire room.

There was a serving girl in the kitchen, a petite figure with mid length black hair, his heart pounded at the sight, leaping for joy when his mind added that it was her. When she turned in his direction and saw him looking at her so happily she smiled faintly. It wasn't an unpleasant smile, nor was she an unpleasant woman, but he turned his eyes away. His heart throbbed and his mind pulsed saying "You fool. It can not be her, she would be with her Clan", and alas it was true. Though he had travelled to a few Dalish camps, he had yet to be impressed, and had surely not found his vhenan.

The fair woman approached him from the side, and he watched in his peripheral as she came closer, smiling all the while. His face burned hot with embarrassment, he had not wanted her attention, he had thought her to be someone else entirely.

"Hi there." His eyes slowly swiveled from the table to the woman's face. Her soft voice was intoxicating in its simplicity.

"Greetings." He smiled warmly, but not too warm. The woman's smile grew a watt brighter at his reply.

"What can I get ya' today?" She asked coyly, her eyes implied she willing to give more than what was on the menu, but he wasn't interested in her.

"A drink of sorts would be well." He let his eyes wander down her body, but promptly threw the notion out. She noticed no matter.

"Is that all?" Her eye brow shot up a little.

"Yes, please." He smiled again, then promptly looked away from her. She rolled her eyes and swished away to retrieve his drink. Once she was gone he let out a long breath and shook his head at himself.

She returned with the drink not long after. She sat the metal cup down a little too hard and then told Solas that the drink would be two shillings. He retrieved the money and handed it to her, then took a long pull from the cup.

Suspicious eyes watched him around the room as he drinked. He watched them too, but not as questioningly, he was well versed in the ways of men and knew that they were only untrusting of a strange elf that just walked into town for a drink. He also knew they could be dangerous, but he hoped that it would not come to that.

He left quietly and inconspicuously, walking out the door on swift feet. He found the road and turned north on it, making his way ever closer to his destination. His frequent stops at ruins and small villages and camps had cost him much time, but he was not rushed. After all, he had all the time in the world.