“Rox, that so wasn’t fair!” Nate cried walking around the corner.

“It’s not my fault you’re so easily distracted Naddy” I smiled, “So that means you sleep on the floor tonight” We always had sleep overs but one of us would sleep on my bed and the other on a spare air mattress. We’d always play games or make bets as to who would get my comfy bed and me being me, I always win. Either that or Nate was just horrible at everything.

“We’ll see Rox, I had already won. I just didn’t have the keys” I laughed at his attempt to win sleeping in my bed but shrugged it off. We sat on the sofa stuffing our faces with junk and caught up on everything we missed out on. He asked me about Australia and what I missed about it, and in return I asking him what he got up to in our years apart and also about his reputation at school.

“Hey kids!” My parents greeted us as they walked in the front door, “Nate, long time no see.  How’ve you been?” My dad asked taking off his jacket.

“Great Tom, how was your day today?” replied Nate. I walked off and followed Mom into the kitchen leaving Nate and Dad to chit chat. I pulled myself to sit on top of the kitchen bench and watched Mom as she took out the ingredients for spaghetti bolognaise.

“Hello Darling is Nate staying over?” she asked me as she started dinner.

“Yep! Oh, that reminds me, do you know where the spare air mattress is?” I asked, remembering that I had no idea where we packed it.

“Your father had to throw it out Darling, it had holes in it so it would’ve been useless to keep it. Why don’t you and Nate just share your bed? You don’t have your old single bed anymore and a queen size is big enough for you two. Well, it might be, Nate’s grown up into quite the handsome young man” she said winking at me. Besides, I trust you two and you have the implanon in your arm anyway so you won’t get pregnant.”

“MOM! Oh my God! What the hell are you talking about?!” I whisper shouted at her, my face turning as red as a ripe strawberry as I blushed at her statement.

“Well, if it was going to happen I'm just saying that sleeping in different beds won’t stop you” she replied innocently. Good Lord this is awkward…

“Nothing’s going to happen, Mom. Naddy’s my best friend” I told her, though it felt like I was telling myself just as much as her.

“Ok, ok, but anyway you two might as well share the bed because the only other options are the floor or the sofa downstairs”

My mom knew I wasn’t a virgin. I’d gone to her when I started thinking about having sex and we decided on me getting an implant instead of the pill in case I threw it up. She was pretty lenient, though she just told me that she’d prefer to be older when I start popping out kids.

*********

Nate and I raced upstairs after dinner and were currently staring at the ceiling while continuing to chat.

“So where’s the air mattress Rox? Nate asked me looking around the room. I blew up my cheeks so that I looked like a squirrel stashing nuts away for winter and blew out the wind.

“Dad through it away. Mom said we could, uh, share the bed.” I blushed. I looked over to Nate and saw him freeze slightly before relaxing again. Did he not want to share the bed? Did he find me unattractive that he didn’t want to sleep that close to me?
Wait, unattractive? I meant… urgh, I don’t even know what I mean anymore. I have no idea where these feelings are coming from. I thought that when I came back everything would be the same as before. I suppose they are for him, but I don’t know about me. I just cant seem to help myself.  And it’s only the first day!