Chapter One

🎀

After the abrupt arrival of my laughing second knight, Sir Amancio della Rosa, Hamilton quietly excused himself to prepare for the quest to find the troubling knight.

Not that I noticed. Amancio's words had me rooted in the chair.

My heart fluttered, but not the light hearted palpitations a woman in love experiences. No, instead I felt a hot fire burn in the pit of my stomach, anger suddenly invading my line of sight. It felt as if a storm were brewing, an unexpected one no one is prepared for. I grew fearful of what'll happen but, at the same time...

"Good riddance."

Amancio burst into another laughing session, dramatically dropping to his knees and feigning a heart attack. He was armour free, but his sword clattered on the ground.

I frowned. "This isn't funny."

"Oh yes it is. I can't say I'm surprised that Jake got seduced and kidnapped by a siren. He hated those Defense Against Magical Creatures lessons. Slept through everyone of them," Amancio got up.

I dryly reply, "Makes sense. Can we leave him with her?" I don't think he should come back. If anything I'll be less scandalised if the nation knew of my lack of restraint on my knights, compared to them finding out the youngest princess is a murderer.

"You can be quite cruel when you want to be, princess. What now?" he coughed out.

I glanced down at my half full cup. My father should be able to figure this one out but..

"These four men are your responsibility now," Father had said. And then he frowned, stern expression completely lost. He does this a lot, actually. "Damn. I never want to say those words to my beautiful, pure daughters."

Oh no. I can't pull him into this, can I?

The urge to scratch out the eyes of my fourth knight, Sir Jacob Alois Heron was enough to make me say the next words. I would bring him back, and I'll make him grovel. No one appreciates anyone going after a skirt, especially a military man. If word got out...

I drank the remaining chocolate before standing up. "Listen, Amancio. Get ready. We'll leave with Hamilton at dawn."

Amancio's grin dissipated. "Wait no Dem, we'll handle i--"

I raised a hand to stop him. "Nope. I'm coming with. Better bring him back, you know. Besides I need you guys to restrain me. To stop me from killing anyone."

He blinked. "But Demmy...."

"I don't wanna pull rank on you, you know."

Once again he gave me a wide smile and a tiny salute. "Fine. We'll protect you anyway. But, I just found this out from a scullery maid. I'll look more into who did it?"

Amancio nodded, taking that as a dismissal, and left the study.

I sat down behind the chair, drawing up my knees to my chest and let out a groan.

Why the hell does all this happen to me?

Sir Jacob Alois Heron was a bigger rake than my brother, and an asshole to boot. He was the third son of a wealthy advisor of my father, but that didn't stop him from being known in circles. He joined the army as a squire at a terribly young age, but his sole reason was the glory and the fame. He always thought with his other head and his father usually bailed him out of trouble.

I don't understand why he's one of my knights. He brings shame to the Glamaia. He's an arrogant ass of a knight. At age seventeen, he's one of the youngest to be appointed to royalty, but that doesn't mean he's responsible. Lazy, conceited, narcissistic, annoying, rude, and terribly stupid is what he is.