Chapter 5

Personal A/N *. . .* = to be italisized; ^. . .^ = to be bolded (editing purposes)

"It's still so warm outside," I say out loud while passing a stand that was selling chocolates. Valentine's day isn't for a little while. . . Hopefully, they will still be here when the time comes around. Speaking of which I need to make sure I make enough this month to cover for the chocolates and tuition this time. Maybe I should try to take more hou-

"I-I'm so sorry!" I bowed then looking up to see this stunning woman. Her eyes. . . the light is shining on them that they look like they have a bit of a purple tinge, her hair as well. Maybe it's colored contacts and dye? Or could she be a Sohma!?  

"Hmph," she continued walking past, as I looked back to watch her I notice her twirling her hair with what seems to be a pencil, maybe a pen, and creating a bun. She doesn't seem to like me, hopefully, if she is a Sohma I can atone for bumping into her. For now, I have to focus on work!

I entered the building that belongs to Momiji's father for work.

"Good afternoon!" I call out towards my older coworkers before entering the dressing room.

Wow, I really need to eat more. I feel a bead of sweat roll down from the back of my neck to my back. With all this stress and moving around, I've slimmed down. It feels like every time I put on this apron I have to tighten it even more. I hope nobody has noticed, I wouldn't want anyone to worry.

Even with that, I still need to give this my all. I can't rely on others, this is my responsibility!

"Tohru, Tohru!"

"Oh hi, Momiji. Visiting again today?"

"Ja! You'll look out for Mama and Momo, right? Last time I told Papa that they saw me I got in trouble!" As always, an outsider couldn't tell he faltered by this.

"Of course," my grim smile shone. It's better to pretend like his plastered emotions are real in such a public place. Eyes and ears lurk in every corner.

We stood by the window, watching Momiji's biological family walk away.

"Momiji?"

"Ja?"

"Where do you go?"

"Oh, like who takes care of me?"

"Yeah."

"Hatori is my main caregiver. Papa tries to come by whenever he can to hang out. He still pays for all my needs and activities too!"

"Oh, I suppose that explains why you're always around him."

"Mhm! Speaking of which, I should head back. Hatori probably had a long day, bye Tohru!"

"Goodbye!" I can't help but look out the window for a little while longer, reminiscing on his situation. I wonder how difficult that is. Knowing that you're the whole family is right at your fingertips, but they just move further away if you reach out. Would it be more painful than being an orphan? Or would that pain just be different?"