Chapter Four

English class goes by the slowest when it's a grey day, with the threat of rain looming over head. I was sat in my seat closest to the window next to my friend Alex. My chin was propped up on my hand and I was absent-mindedly doodling song lyrics in my notebook.

"What do you think, Maelyn?" I heard my teacher, Ms. Shear ask coldly. My head snapped forward painfully.

"Umm, sorry, could you repeat the question?" I stammered, rubbing my the back of my neck. Ms. Shear really was cruel. She couldn't just let me wallow in my dreary-day induced misery and leave me out of the conversation, she had to call me out on my short attention span.

"That's what I thought." She nodded curtly. I rolled my eyes. I was not in the mood for school, let alone English class, today. Last night, my dance teacher decided that because one stupid boy forgot his tights, our lesson was to be extended two extra hours to practice for the upcoming showcase. My calves were burning from spending thirty agonizing minutes walking around the studio in relivé. I wasn't a ballet dancer, so I had never taken pointe class or anything, but I doubt I would survive, considering I could barely survive long periods of time up on the balls of my feet. Unfortunately, I had dance again tonight, so my calves would once again face the agony.

Ms. Shear had tuned back to the class and was droning on about the reading we had last night. I looked back down to my notebook and saw Alex had scribbled something in the margin.

Oh my sweet baby Jesus I'm going to swallow my pencil and give myself lead poisoning if this class doesn't end soon.

I chuckled to myself. Though maybe it should worry me, Alex was always good a coming up with really creative ways to kill or seriously injure herself to get out of class. If she didn't have such a good life and a tendency to over exaggerate, I may have considered putting her on suicide watch. I glanced up at the clock above the door.

Don't worry, only 3 more minutes.

I scrawled quickly below. I did my signature run-a-hand-through-my-hair and stretched my hands over my head. Luckily, Ms. Spear's back was turned, so she didn't mistake my motion for a raised hand. Twisting to either side in my seat, I quickly, and rather loudly, cracked my back and sighed. Noticing there were only seconds left in this ghastly period, I started to pack up my things. I sprung from my seat when the bell sounded, signaling the end of the day.

I called out in thanks to my pucker-lipped English teacher and placed an earphone in my right ear. Jack White's Love Interruption blasted in my ears as I made my way to my locker. A note was waiting on my locker door when I arrived. I scanned it quickly and discovered that Dylan intending to stop by tonight for some help on his Chem homework. Undoubtedly, he would try to guilt me into doing it for him. Exhaling in exasperation, I threw my necessary books in my backpack and stormed down the halls in search of my 'advisee.'

"No!" I exclaimed, slamming my hand onto Dylan's chest, note beneath my palm. He smirked and peeled my fingers of his chest.

"Nice to see you too." He replied. I crossed my arms stubbornly.

"I have dance tonight, so sorry, no, you will not get the chance to guilt me into doing your Chemistry homework for you." The idiot's smirk turned fully upwards into a grin.

"So, you would have done it for me?" He asked slyly. I uncrossed my arms, clenching them by my sides.

"No!" I yelled unnecessarily loudly into his face. "Just-ugh!" Stomping away, adjusted my back pack on my back and pressed play on my iPhone. Cranking up the volume, I practically ran down the hallway and outside to my car.

Adam was waiting for me, leaning casually against the passenger side door, eyes glued to his phone. I stalked up to the car, unlocking it and tossing my backpack in the backseat. Upon hearing my arrival, Adam looked up and put his phone away.