Chapter 2: Hostile Takeover

Start from the beginning

"She called it off."

"Already? Didn't you just go on your first date?"

"Had to skip it for work. Daryl thought he found a big drug deal we could bust. Turned out it was just a rave."

"You see, that's what I mean when I say you're missing out on things."

"Missing what? A date with a chick who doesn't understand I have to work? Besides, there's this older girl who's trying out for the Sentinels who's got super strength. She's way cooler than any girl at my school. Just wish Daryl would hire her already." Eric watched eagerly as they rounded a corner and the firehouse came into view. "Almost there." The boy smiled as he leaned over the dashboard for a better look.

"I just wish you'd call home more often."

"Is that what this is about? When I'm on patrol, I've gotta pay attention to what I'm doing. I can't be calling you all the time."

"You don't have to call all the time, just every now and then would be fine."

"Sometimes I'm out past midnight. Do you really want me to wake you up just to let you know I'm okay?"

"I would. Waking me up is a small price to pay because I'll be able to sleep easier after that. I mean, you tell me things like you were chasing a demon last week and I start thinking the worst when I don't hear from you."

"She's a friendly demon. You could come in and even meet her if you want." Eric's father slowed the truck to a stop in front of the firehouse. "Thanks for the ride." Eric leapt out of the vehicle.

"Hang on, I'll come in with you," said Joseph as he got out of the truck.

"What? Why?"

"You said I could I meet this demon person. I can also meet your other teammates and talk to Daryl."

"Oh come on Dad. I've gotta work with these people. I don't need you embarrassing me in front of them."

"I'm not going to embarrass you. I just want to say hi to Daryl and meet your new friends, then I'll leave."

Eric sighed. "Fine, whatever." Eric led his father past the trio of massive garage doors and around the corner into a small side alley. "Oh, and don't mention the rave thing to Daryl, he's still kinda sore about that." Eric pulled open a metal door with a dent and led his father inside.

"You've got a lot of room in here," noted Joseph as he surveyed the area.

"Yeah, even after bringing the furniture in it's still pretty open on the first floor," said Eric. "Which makes it all the more annoying the only bathroom is on the second."

"Eric, you're here." The pair turned to find Daryl hunched over a small desk pushed up against the wall. He looked away from his computer and stood up to greet the pair. "And Joseph, it's good to see you again."

"Nice to see you too," said Joseph as he shook Daryl's hand.

"Dad wanted to meet our new pet demon," informed Eric.

"She's not a pet." Eric turned to find Olivia and Angela sitting on a long sofa facing a big TV mounted on the wall.

"Oh, Olivia, I didn't see you there." Eric darted over to the firehouse's newly designated living room. "I was just kidding about the pet thing. You know that, right Angela?"

"No," answered Angela in a quiet voice.

"Don't even joke about stuff like that. Her master used to tell her that she was less than a person all the time," explained Olivia.