Chapter 22

I did take up a job at my high school, it was intimidating at first but then I found out how things ran and led on. Life seemed more of less normal. My birthday was coming up to but I was trying my best to ignore it till the very last. Unfortunately mom had other ideas. A package came on the morning and I found mom outside my door. She screamed at me a birthday greeting and then handed me the package before going down the steps. I took it and ripped of the paper. There was a flowery fabric. I picked it up and my eyes widened. It was a peasant dress. A letter fell out of it and I picked it up. At once I recognized Isaac’s handwriting. He wished me a happy birthday and then sort of challenged me. I stared back at the letter. Lately we had been talking about Amish people and how I found then to be misunderstood but he felt sort of insulted. I shook my head. He wanted me to be an Amish for a day, without technology. My eyes roved around my room. I would have no TV, phone or any other device. I sighed and sat back. Should I accept?

                I called him a moment later. “Its mu birthday can’t we do this some other day?” I asked. I could imagine him smirking at the other end. “NO, sorry,” he said. I groaned. “Come on it will be fun,” He said. I finally said yes and he said that he would pick me up. My eyes shot open. “What?” I asked. “You heard me you can’t be an Amish if you don’t live in our village and get to act as us,” he said. I sighed but did not argue. Atleast it would only be for one day right. True to his word he came for me around 10am, it was a Sunday so no school. We drove back to the village and he stopped before we reached. There was a horse drawn cart there and I was wondering if he could go through such depts... He led me to it and I gulped.

                It was not as frightening as I thought it would be but it was scary just the same. I finally came down in front of his house and he led me in. We walked to the kitchen and he smiled. “Ready to cook?” he asked. My eyes widened. I helped chop up some vegetable for a stew he called it and then sat down. “None of that,” he said and helped me up. “We have to wash the clothes, garden, you would like my herb garden; feed my chickens and so much more.” I sighed and followed him. “Who knew there was so much work and the last time I was here he did not even have chickens. By the time we were done I truly felt that I had never been so worked up in my life. I sat back and sighed. He stared at me and shook his head. “So how was you day,” he said as he was driving me home. I shook my head and yawed. “I have never been so tired,” I said. He laughed. “Since when did you get chickens?” I asked. He smiled. “They’re not mine I sort of borrowed them,” he replied. “You didn’t,” I said. He smiled. “Ok we don’t usually do all that work but I wanted you to have a genuine experience.” He said I scoffed and turned away.

                We finally arrived home and I sighed in relief. My feet led me up the front steps and through the door. Before I could get in properly a figure stopped me. I stared at her, her hair was cut short and she was wearing a pair of baggy pants and a tee-shirt. “Max?” I asked. She smiled and hugged me. I stepped back in surprise.  “Happy Birthday Amy!” she shouted. I stared at her in shock but then my eyes became drawn to mom and dad who were looking at us from the couch. “What’s going on?” I asked. “Amy why did you do it?” mom said. I stared at her wondering what she was talking about. “Max told us everything.”