2. New Places, New Faces

Start from the beginning

Athena guides Christina and me around the school, pointing to classrooms and hallways, and occasionally pushes up the frame of her glasses to meet her coffee colored eyes. We spend the entirety of our first period getting familiar with the school, so Athena escorts us to Christina's second period just before the bell rings.

Athena then escorts me to my class as the hallways begin to flood with other bodies rushing to get to their next period. "Sorry you got stuck showing the new kids around." I apologize to her.

Athena sends one of her small smiles to me and shakes her head slightly. "Why are you apologizing? I love showing people around. Besides I'm an office aid first period so I don't do anything exciting anyway." She stops walking and hands me my schedule. "AP Calculus with Ms. Fitzpatrick." She announces. "You're lucky. You got the good teacher."

"Well I'll need all the luck I can get. I like math, but I'm not always the greatest at it." I admit. "Thanks again for showing me around, Athena."

"Anytime. I can meet you here after class since it'll be lunch if you want."

I nod. "Yeah that sounds great."

➳ ➳ ➳

Athena is waiting outside my class when the bell rings. She explains that everyone in the school has lunch at the same time, and that it's an open lunch, which means you can eat mostly wherever you want in the school. She takes me through the cafeteria, and heads outside. There are lunch tables directly outside the door, but there is also a large concrete staircase with a landing halfway down that has seating. According to Athena, that landing is where she and her friends usually sit on the nicer days. There is also a large grass area across from the steps with an old willow tree shading most of the grass area where students are sitting.

I text Christina and tell her where to go in case she wants to spend lunch with Athena and me. Athena leads the way up the large staircase and to the landing. She's in the middle of explaining something when someone walks over and swings their arms around Athena's neck.

"What, you aren't going to introduce your favorite person in the entire world?" The girl leaning on Athena is half a foot taller than her. She smiles at me, and I can't help but stare at her. Her smile is crooked, and reveals her dimples; both things that make her appear even more attractive than I initially thought. Her cheekbones are prominent, but not obnoxious and she has a jawline that I swear can rival that of Crystal Reed.

"Hi Logan." Athena sounds annoyed, but I can tell she was speaking sarcastically.

The girl pushes a strand of her long, dark waves behind her ear, revealing the small solid black gauges she has in her ears, and shifts her electric blue eyes from me to Athena. "How's my favorite short stack of pancakes?"

"I hate you." Athena attempts to sound serious but can't seem to help the small smile that tugs at the corners of her thin lips.

"Most people do." Logan shrugs. She waits a moment before continuing. "Well...?" She flicks her wrist to gesture to me.

Logan has a tattoo of a single rose on the back of her right hand. Tattooed on the outside of her right forearm, she has an arrow, and from what I can see sticking out of her shirt is a tattoo of birds breaking from a feather underneath of her collar bone on her left side. My eyes move around Logan's form, connecting her tattoos like dots in a coloring book. My eyes land on the ring hanging from the chain around Logan's neck. It's a simple silver ring, but I can't make out the engraving from where I'm standing.

Athena looks at me and sighs. "This wonderfully annoying human growth," Athena smacks her hand against Logan's arm that is draped across Athena's chest,  "is the infamous Logan Spencer." Athena looks back at Logan. "Logan, this is Cammie."