Chapter 6

It was the second day and nine tributes remained. Only three people had died in the Bloodbath; the death toll was usually higher in the first day.

Taurus was pissed. Capricorn had teased her and called her a weakling right before the Games had started, and Taurus, being Taurus, had taken it to heart. The insult had been stuck in her head the entire day, and she was determined to disprove his statement.

Taurus looked around at her surroundings. She had been filled with a sense of relief when the setting of the Games had be revealed that year. Back at home, the woods were literally her backyard and she tightened her grip on the spear she was holding. She hadn't tested her weapon out yet. After all, she did need to know how efficient it was. Just one quick throw, and then she would try to find food and shelter. She pulled her arm back and flung it as far as she could. She had not expected to hear a scream filled with agony.

Libra heard a scream in the distance. Aquarius. He knew he should have never let Aquarius out on his own. He sprinted towards the source of the noise and almost collapsed at the sight that lay in front of him. Aquarius laid on the ground motionless, the pool of blood around his still body ever growing. His limbs were splayed across his body.

No. This couldn't be happening. He had promised Aquarius. Libra had sworn to him that he would make Aquarius win. And he had failed.

Libra couldn't live like this, without Aquarius. Out of the corner of his tear - filled eye, Libra spotted one of Aquarius's daggers and slowly picked it up with his trembling hand.

Aquarius's eyes snapped open when he heard the cannon fire. He shifted his arm to the side and felt another figure next to him. He turned his head to see Libra's lifeless body next to him. His vision blurred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~flashback start~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aquarius poked at a sleeping Libra. The sun had risen and he was certain the other signs were already up and about the arena. Libra sleepily cracked open an eye and made a noise reminiscent of a "what?".

"It's morning, Libra. We should probably go find food."

"Mm." Libra closed his eyes and rolled over. "I don't wanna."

"Fine. I'll leave you here for some tribute to kill." Hearing these words made Libra jolt awake. He sat up and his eyes adjusted to the light The boy then looked at Aquarius.

"Fine, I'm awake." He stood up and stretched, reaching for his sword.

"Let's split up. That way, we have a higher chance of finding food since we are going to cover more ground."

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Genuine concern laced Libra's voice.

"Libra, I'll be fine."

"Aquarius-" A frown was on Libra's face.

"I'm not going to get hurt okay? I promise." Libra stared into Aquarius's eyes and pressed his forehead to the other boy's. Aquarius noticed that Libra had a small scar under his left eye. But this was not the right time to ask, as Libra's lips met Aquarius's own for a moment before they broke away.

Aquarius was left dazed and confused. "...Libra?"

"This... this may be the last time we see each other." Aquarius simply nodded and walked away from Libra, standing motionless as he watched the other boy slowly became a dot in the distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~flashback end~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You were wrong. That wasn't the last time we saw each other." he whispered weakly. Aquarius gazed at Libra's lifeless face and a small smile appeared on his own face. He used what little strength he had left in him to take a second dagger from his pocket and drove it into his heart.

Pisces heard two cannon shots in the distance. It was only the morning of the second day and five zodiacs had already died. She looked up to see who the two new victims were. Now, not only did the victim show up, but the killer or cause of his or her death did as well. She was surprised to see a picture of Libra, and next to it, the exact same picture. Suicide. Automatically, her mind went to Aquarius. She knew the two were close. She soon learned that they were still together, even in death, as Aquarius showed up. Next to him was a picture of not only himself but also Taurus. Taurus, the softhearted, food loving, cute girl had killed Aquarius. Pisces made a mental note to team up with her in the future (if she didn't die, of course). She had to live through this. She had to survive. Footsteps sounded behind her. She had no time to think. Pisces spun around, shut her eyes, and thrust her trident into the zodiac's? Animal's? Flesh. Whatever or whoever she had just killed was clearly not expecting it, as it let out a sharp gasp and it's body thudded to the earthy ground. Another cannon shot. Pisces slowly opened her eyes to see who she had killed. She was not expecting to see a girl with fine, short blond hair and stunning green eyes. Virgo. Pisces looked up to see Virgo's smiling face and her own next to it. For some unknown reason, she did not feel guilt. She didn't feel angry, proud, or disappointed. She felt nothing at all. She slowly pulled the bloody trident out of Virgo's chest and walked away from the scene.