Chapter 4

Not edited

***

"Andrea! Andrea, I need you to wake up honey!" my mom's voice rang through the door. I groaned as I slipped on my bunny slippers and stumbled towards the door.

"I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too mom," I said groggily as she trapped me in a bear hug. I wrapped my arms around her as I returned the loving gesture, I swear I wasn't crying...

"What happened to your hair? Are those contacts?" she asked as she stepped past me into my room.

"I just felt like a change," I lied.

"What have you been doing all week?"

"Nothing much really," I confessed. All I'd done was eat, drink and sleep. Oh yes, I also happened to have a near death experience when I turned into a half demon hybrid thingy but I didn't want to give my poor mother a heart attack so I spared her the details.

"Alexandrea," she said in a warning tone, this was going downhill fast.

"Yes?" I gulped as I closed the door.

"I think it's time you got a job. Only until you go to college of course."

"Me? A job?" I failed to keep the shock out of my voice.

"Yes. Your father knows someone who works at an advertisement agency, I got you an interview."

An advertisement agency? That doesn't sound too bad, at least not compared to that one time that I was a summer camp counsellor in a boys dorm... I shuddered at the memory.

"Uhm, sure. When's the interview?" I asked as she walked towards the door.

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow!? How did you even know if I would agree?"

"Honey, I'm your mother. I know you," she said as she closed the door behind her.

I yawned as I fell back onto my bed. "Mhmm, comfy," I snuggled into my teddy bears arms as I fell back to sleep.

***

I was nervous to say the least. If the skyscraper of a building wasn't intimidating enough, then the people working in it were the cherry on top. There wasn't a hair out of place or a single wrinkle on their crisp white shirts.

"Hello, I'm here to see Daniel Jacobs," I said as I brushed a stray strand of hair out of my face.

"Name?" the male receptionist asked as he typed away on his keyboard.

"Alexandria Stevens," I said as calmly as I could manage.

"27th Floor," he replied with a smile. I thanked him as I walked over to the elevator.

"You've got to be kidding me," I exhaled once I noticed the 'out of order' sign that seemed to mock me from the reflective doors of the elevator.

Ten minutes later, I was unsure which floor I was on, with my black stilettos in my hand as I climbed the stairs.

"I'm so sorry," I said as I bumped into someone, causing their coffee to spill all over both of us.

"Watch it, newbie," she glared at me as she wiped the small spot off of her black formal dress.

"I'm sorry but you weren't looking where you were going either," I snapped back.

"Excuse me," she pushed past me. "Some of us have more important things to do."

I just ignored her as I continued up the stairs. Floor 27 at long last. I slipped my heels back on and took a deep breath to calm myself down before I headed down the hall. I knocked on the door since his secretary was missing.