Chapter 16

I was frantic

I was frantic. I didn't know how much time had gone by since we started searching. It was growing dark outside and there were still no signs of Kyle. He needed my help and I had no way to give it to him. I couldn't find him.

"Chloe, calm down." Tessa said as she lazily dragged her feet.

"I have to find him." I said.

"I get that but you're too worked up."

"I can't calm down. He's out there and he could die if I don't find him. Do you not understand how serious this is? He could die because of me. Someone else is going to die because of me." I was crying by this point now. "It's always because of me."

I angrily wiped the tears from my eyes. I hated the look of pity that Tessa was giving me. I didn't need her giving me those looks.

"What's happening isn't your fault. If you want to help Kyle you have to calm down. You're an Alpha. You're connected with your pack members- at least those who are loyal to you. Feel it deep inside of you. Call out for his wolf and you'll be able to find him."

I nodded and took a deep breath. She was right. I had to calm down. Kyle needed me and I had to get to him. My priority was Kyle.

I closed my eyes and tried to call out to Kyle. I could still feel the small link that connected us. Even though his mind link was shut off, I felt like I could still reach out to him. I knew he wasn't dead but he was in danger.

"Chloe, over here!" Tessa standing several feet away from me.

I ran towards her and saw a motionless body but it wasn't Kyle. I would have picked up his scent if it were him. As I looked closer I recognized the boy. It was Theo.

His body was badly beaten and there was an awful smell coming from him. It was the reason why i hadn't picked up his scent at all. I was so distracted with tracking down Kyle I didn't think of anything else. I reached out to touch him but Tessa yanked me back.

"Don't touch him!" Tessa said. "He's dripping in aconite."

"We can't leave him here. If we leave him like this he could die."

"If you touch him you'll burn with that stuff."

I could practically taste the wolfs bane on my tongue. I remembered the day Kyle had me tricked into drinking some. It was the most horrible feeling. Just thinking about it had my stomach turning.

"I have to do it."

I reached out to touch him and felt the sting on my fingertips. I winced and cried out when I brought him into my arms. I wouldn't be able to carry him in my arms. Tessa did try to help me move him onto my back, but I could see her being hurt by the aconite.

Despite everything that Tessa had done, she was part of my pack now. She was loyal to me and I cared about my pack. I could bare to see anyone for my pack hurt. It was killing me seeing Theo on the brink of death.