"Thought so."

She disappeared and came back with a large old book. Very gently she placed it on the table opposite Sam and I and said, "I've looked through gran's book a thousand times and there isn't anything relating to what we want to do, not to this level."

Micah closed his own book and leaned back, crossing his large arms one over the other. I remember first meeting Micah all those years ago, he looked intimidating with his large figure but he was so sweet and gentle. And he may be blind but it didn't stop him from doing a thing. I could see the love in Kate's eyes and it was cute to watch them meet each other blow for blow. He was the only one that would get past Kate's visions so he kept her on her toes.

"Maybe we're doing this wrong." I pondered. "Maybe doing it by the book isn't what's supposed to be done here."

Kate looked at her brother and then Micah. A spark of something entered her gaze as she pondered whatever it was she was thinking. And then Micah suddenly said, "It's a bad idea, girl."

"It's the only idea, boy. Hold on."

Cal and I exchanged a look when she left and came back with an even older looking book. Its markings looked aged, historic almost. The words clearly embossed in Latin, the black leather bound book dropped beside the other one she was looking at.

"Kate, you sure? Gran said never to use it in case-"

"Of a dire emergency? This is one."

"What is it?" I murmured.

"It was our grandmother's Grimoire. The one I was looking at is the family one. But this... this is blood magic. Dark magic she used to dabble in. It's natural for every witch to turn to it every once in a while but it could sometimes be costly."

My face formed a grimace. "If Ana played around with it why did she tell you not to use it?"

"She said we could if it was an emergency and technically it is so it's fine." She shrugged but the fear was in her eyes.

"Katherine." I warned. "If this isn't a good idea..."

"Look, it's only a locate spell we're not bringing anyone back from the dead are we?"

Sam leaned forward. "Risky though. If mom knew..."

"She won't unless you tell her you nark so shut up and help me look through it. Chelsea if you need to, why don't you go out and feed. We don't know how strong we'll need you to be."

As Cal and I left, I could see the worrisome expression on Micah's face as Kate and Sam started flicking through the Grimoire. If blood magic was the only way of finding them then maybe it wasn't meant to be. Since last night Nate and Jackie had been over to, once again, tell me that she hasn't heard anything from Christian. No surprise. As the days wore on, my worry grew.

I know Christian wasn't stupid enough to get himself hurt or killed but with not even a message to say he was okay we could only assume the worst, especially his sister.

It was just past ten o'clock in the evening, and I wasn't about to be picky with who I fed from. Two women – maybe mid-thirties – stepped out of a convenience store across the road.

"Blonde or brunette?"

"I'm not picky, Cal."

"Brunette for you then." He chuckled walking toward the women to compel them into the alley.

Twenty minutes later, full and ready for whatever hellish experience awaits me behind Kate's door, Callum caught up to me. "Feel like I made a mistake picking the blonde."