8. Doctor Visits

Pregnancy - Week 32

"You ready pretty girl?" Maks said looking across the room at his clearly anxious wife. She was watching out the picture window as her fingers mindlessly stroked her growing belly. She didn't even hear him  so he moved over and settled down next to her. She still didn't move which worried him that much more.

"P." He said once more making her jump and look at him.

"Maks." She said looking at him in shock that he was now sitting next to her.

"I called you sweetheart. Where's your head at?" He said as he reached for her hand giving it a light squeeze.

"I don't know. I'm just worried about this appointment. I don't know why but I just feel like something is going to happen." She said looking at him in concern. She was at the point in the pregnancy where she was being switched to weekly appointments and scans each week. Typically it was a few more weeks before that happened however since she was carrying twins, it was a higher risk so  they started things early. It was nerve wracking but comforting at the same time.

"Like what pretty girl? I mean I don't doubt your intuition but at the same time, what are you thinking?" He said keeping his eyes on hers.

"I don't know. I keep trying to figure it out but I just...I can't really explain it but I just feel like something is going to go wrong." She said and he could see her getting more and more worked up as she went on.

"Okay, okay. Breathe." He said pulling her into his body and just holding her.

"Nothing can happen Maks." She muttered into him as she gripped his body.

"I know, I know. I can't promise you that nothing won't happen but I can promise you that I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here with you. We'll get through all of this together." He said holding her tightly and pressing a kiss to her head.

"Promise?" She said weakly.

"Promise." He said with conviction.

"We have to go." She said after they had sat there for a little bit longer.

"We do." He said as he stood up and helped her up as well. He led them out to the car and the ride to the doctor's office was filled with quiet contemplation as Peta's head still spun on the feeling that she just couldn't shake and Maks worried about what was going to go on in this appointment. They got themselves signed in and settled into the waiting room seats as they waited for it to be their turn. Peta still wasn't speaking and Maks knew better than to push her. He simply wrapped his arm around her shoulders and held her as they waited.

"Peta Chmerkovskiy." The nurse called out once it was their turn. The two stood and Maks slipped his hand into Peta's as they followed the nurse back to the room. She had Peta settle on the exam table after weighing her and then did her blood pressure and everything else. Maks saw a look of concern flash across the nurse's face when she took Peta's blood pressure but he refused to let it get to him.
Finally they were left alone to wait for Dr. Salts.

"Pretty girl." Maks said moving to stand in front of his wife. He reached for both of her hands and ran his thumbs across the back of her hands.

"I'm sorry." She said finally looking at him for the first time since they had left the house.

"No, no sorries pretty girl. I know I can't fix this and I can't take away this fear but I need you to take some deep breaths. For you and for Joe & Ella. I need you to breath." He said as he watched her eyes search his for a moment. Then she nodded and took a few deep breaths and he could see her settle just a tiny bit. It wasn't as much as he'd have liked but he knew he needed to take what he could get right now.