Ice Skating & New Years Resolutions

Start from the beginning

"Exactly." She rests her head on my shoulder as I return the soccer ball to the community basket, taking her to the car.

"So, where are we going?" Grace asks once we're both settled in. She grabs my hand, which is resting on the center console, wrapping her fingers with mine. I look over at her, and she doesn't even seem to notice. Instead, she's mindlessly singing along with the words to a The 1975 song on the radio. I smile to myself, beyond grateful that this girl was placed into my life. A notification on her phone goes off, but she ignores it.

"That's a surprise." I return my eyes to the road, squeezing her hand gently. I can practically hear her rolling her eyes. Oh, how Grace Baker hates surprised. However, I find it extremely fun to tease her.

"Can I get a hint?"

"Hopefully you won't fall on your ass this time," I say, and I feel her hand slap my shoulder. "Hey, no hitting the driver. Only hitting on the driver."

"Okay, after all I don't want us to crash." She shrugs her shoulders. I hear her phone go off again, this time she looks at it. I see her frown and shut the screen off.

"Everything okay?" A hint of worry crosses over me, and my protective nature comes out. Even the slightest dirty look in Grace's direction would set me off.

She looks back at me, turning her phone on silent. "All good." She gives a weak smile, I can always tell when they're not genuine. Because when her smiles are real, it makes me want to smile too. But right now I just want to look at the screen and see what's bothering her.

Respecting her privacy, I turn my eyes back to the road, this date will get her mind off things.

❁ ❁ ❁

"Two pairs please. Size 11 and 7." I say, handing my money to the man working the rental counter. He hands us our skates and some socks to wear and we go sit down.

"Now I can check ice skating off the winter bucket list." Grace chirps, slipping her boots off to replace them with the skates.

"I love skating. So does Mia, so don't tell her we came here without her," I reply, knitting up my shoes, ready to go. "When was the last time you went?"

"I can't even remember." I see her struggling with the laces.

"Want me to tie those for you?" She nods, grinning and lifting her leg onto the bench as I lace her up. She rests her chin on her knee, staring at me.

"Is there something on my face?" I wipe at my chin, hoping there isn't dried toothpaste there.

She chuckles, shaking her head. "Just thinking."

How much I would love to know what goes through that pretty little head of hers.

"So was I," She switches legs after I knot the first shoe. "Thinking about maybe if you wanted to come to a party tomorrow night?"

"Like a New Year's Eve party?"

"Essentially. But it's not gonna be a big deal, I mean I know parties aren't your thing, so you don't have to go if you don't want to, but there won't be a whole lot of drinking-not on my part at least-and it's a smaller party, and I figured–"