18| The Rescue

Kyle's POV

     We left Staci alone for most of the way.  We only had a few hours left, so it was better if we just let her go by her wits.

     "We're close now."  Staci said.

     "How do you know?"  I asked.

     "I just know."

     Will tripped on something, so we stopped and I helped him up.  Staci shined the flashlight on the ground where he'd just fallen.  It was . . .  A lever?

     The three of us exchanged looks, and together, we pulled it.

     Nothing happened.

     "Maybe it takes a while to activate?"  Will guessed.

     "Hmm.  Let's keep moving."  Staci narrowed her eyes, and continued to lead us through the darkness.

~~

Aunt Ellie's POV

     Soon, I started to feel a little queasy.

     We had driven for a good thirty minutes by now, and we still hadn't reached this "something" Noah wanted to show me.

     Where was he taking me...?

     Was he...  Going to leave me abandoned in the middle of nowhere?

     Was he going to murder me?  I almost gaped at the thought.

     I tried to calm myself.  He was such a sweet guy . . . he'd never hurt me.

     Right?

~~

Will's POV

     We had been walking for at least a half hour by now, and still had no sign of Emma.  The waterfall was so loud that it was hard to hear anything otherwise.

     Suddenly, there was a cracking noise.  Like an entire forest had just collapsed somewhere nearby.

     We all stopped and looked around.

     "We can't have any delay, or we'll never make it!"  Staci yelled.  "We only have just over two hours!"

     "Oh, god . . .  Oh, god."  Kyle shivered.

     "Don't worry."  I assured him, loudly, trying to get his attention over the waterfall.  "We will find her."

     The sound of the waterfall could be heard so well it sounded as if it were just behind the wall to our right.

     Staci stopped in her tracks.  "D-Did you guys hear that...?"

     "Nope!"  I shouted.  "What is it?"

     She turned and faced the path to the right.  "She's...  Down there."

     "What?"  Kyle called from a few feet behind her.  I couldn't tell whether he was shocked by he was told or simply didn't know what she had said.