Chapter 7

"So these are chores?"

Carmen was referring to her sister, who was climbing up the rigging of the ship. She must have been at least twenty feet up in the air, and was nimbly going higher.

"I'm checking the knots!" Iz called back down. She clambered into the crow's nest and peered down at Carmen. Her blonde curls were whipping around her head in the strong winds, probably making it impossible for her to see clearly or keep hair out of her mouth. "It's a very necessary and important task!"

"Does checking the knots including going all the way up to the crow's nest?" Carmen asked.

Iz was quiet for a second. "Maybe."

Carmen laughed out loud. "Do you have any real chores? Besides risking your life climbing that high."

"Sidi gave me a list of things to do with instructions to go back to him when I finished them. I've finished them, but I haven't exactly gone back to him for another list yet..." She trailed off.

"Iz!"

"What?" Iz said, exasperated. "I told you before- Sidian's a slave driver, he is. If it were up to him, we would do every chore on this ship without a single break in between. Without a single break!"

"And like Sidi told you, it's work that needs to be done." Carmen folded her arms over her chest. She had found a dark blue t-shirt and a pair of somewhat well fitting black pants to put on, but the cold chill off the salty water required her to wear her sweatshirt. Her jacket was too thin to keep out the biting cold. She hated to accept anything from Lilli- who she had yet to see that morning yet, something she was immensely grateful too- but she did need more clothes and she rationalised that they were from Iz or her older sisters.

"Whatever." Carmen could imagine her sister rolling her eyes. "Come up here! The view's amazing."

Carmen looked up to the crow's nest. Iz was leaning over, looking down at her older sister. It wasn't a terribly large structure, but it looked big enough and sturdy enough to hold the two of them. "Is it safe?"

"Of course!" Iz cried down. She paused for a moment, and revised her answer. "Probably."

Carmen sighed. "That's not very reassuring, Iz."

"The view is so beautiful. You've gotta see it. Especially when the sun sets- that is a sight to see." Iz reminded her.

Carmen sighed again. "How hard is it to climb up?"

"The rigging is like a ladder- you should be able to climb with relative ease." Iz explained.

"Remember I never do this." Carmen grabbed hold of the rope and began to climb. "If I fall, it's on you."

"Relax. The hard part is getting down."

"Not helping!"

"Sorry!" Iz shouted down, laughing. "I'm sure you'll be fine. Just don't look down. That is especially key."

"Iz!"

"Sorry!" She repeated, a giggle still in her voice. "Come on, you can do it!"

"Iz..."

"Sorry. Not helping, I get it. Just don't look down."

"Iz!" Carmen cried out again, grumbling under her breath as she climbed higher on the shaky rope, but her complaints were drowned out by the melodious laughter of the younger girl in the crow's nest.