Chapter Forty-Five - Through the Flames

Cass was waiting for them, as they finally made it down the rest of the stairs, to stand on the beautiful crystal beach of fine yellow sand that spread into the distance as far as the eye could see. The remainder of the journey hadn’t taken very long, the stairs eventually wearing into a steep slope, covered in barnacles and sea grass but Lizzie was relieved when they finally jumped from the last step to stand on a flat surface again and by the look on Lucas’ face she was sure he was too.

“So do you think that was the stones gates we had to pass through?” Lucas asked Cass as he collapsed onto the sand beside the large dragon.

“I don’t think it would be that easy,” Lizzie answered before the dragon could speak.

Lucas turned to look at Lizzie as she sat down beside him and then looked back up at Cass, his face questioning.

“I fear Lizzie may be right,” Cass eventually answered, scanning the shoreline around them. “It would appear that the weathered stairs were only the first part in the task and even though you have passed through several stone gates, the task was not completed until you stepped onto the beach. I felt a change in the air almost immediately; the magic triggered by your presence. It was not here before.”

“So we have to find the stone gate now?” Lucas asked.

“It would appear so,” Cass replied, “But after that climb it might be an idea if you ride for a while. I do not think it will affect the magic, and you can search while you rest.”

Lizzie and Lucas didn’t argue, their bodies weary after the long climb and so they clambered up onto Cass’ back and settled down on the dragon’s broad neck as he started his long journey down the empty beach.

******

They had been walking for a while, the landscape unchanging, the sea growing further away from them; the shadows lengthening as they realised they were walking around a large bay, the beach now creeping under the towering cliffs above them, making Lizzie dizzy if she looked up too long.

There were several caves in the cliff surface, but none of them felt right and as Lizzie finished eating the food she had brought with her, her thoughts began wandering to the beach itself. There was something different about it, something she couldn’t quite put her finger on and then it hit her. The sand wasn’t purple like all the other deserts she had seen.

“Cass, why is the sand yellow here?” Lizzie asked perplexed.

Cass looked around and smiled.

“It is because the magic is untainted, pure” he replied.

“So not all sand in Kaimeara is purple?” Lucas asked puzzled. “I just assumed it was.”

“Indeed not,” Cass began, “As the years have passed, and the magic in the land has weakened, the earth has become unable to protect itself from evil. The more that evil drains the earth; the weaker the magic becomes. The colours wither; the light fades and without the alliance between the elements the land will die. ”

“What alliance?” Lucas asked, but Cass’ answer was not heard as Lizzie suddenly gave a shout.

“Look, what is that?”

They both looked up to where Lizzie was pointing, their expressions becoming dark as they realised they were reaching the end of the beach and in front of them stood a solid wall of rocks.

“Don’t you see it?” she asked.

“See what?” Lucas inquired.

“There are two warriors carved into the rock face, can’t you see them, they’re huge?”