Chapter Thirty-Four - Lost Hope

Lizzie was awakened by strong, sharp claws digging into her arms as she was half dragged; half carried from the cell by two large trolls.

She never flinched at their touch this time, never struggled, she knew what was coming, and she would not let them break her.

She was stronger than that.

She glanced around briefly scanning the dimly lit passageways for markers as she was carried through until once again they reached the throne room, and she was unceremoniously dumped onto the cold stone floor.

She pulled herself to her knees and then slowly stood up defiantly looking around for Lucas.

But he was not there.

Instead, the Sea Witch Feeola lounged casually across her ornate crystal throne, her legs swinging backwards and forwards like an impatient school child.

“I have to say I’m almost impressed,” she uttered her words smooth and soft like velvet. Lizzie shivered the sudden need to be sick rising in her throat as the words lightly caressed her skin like silk.

She wasn’t sure, but something felt different this time, the air was thicker, sweeter; like the smell of overpowering flowers, threatening to smother her and she suddenly felt dizzy.

She shook her head glaring coldly at the Sea Witch as she rose from her chair and made her way towards Lizzie, continuing to talk.

“I was sure you would be dead by now,” she began, “But sadly I was wrong. I guess it just leaves me wondering, why not?”

“I don’t know,” Lizzie shot back, “Why don’t you tell me, seeing as you’re so powerful and all.”

“Oh, I like that,” Feeola smiled, reaching out to stroke Lizzie’s face. “Little bit of spirit still in there; a little bit of anger. You really would make a good addition to my home. Are you sure you won’t change your mind and join me?”

“Never,” Lizzie spat. “I don’t know what you did to Lucas but I’d rather die than become like him.”

“I’m sure that can be arranged,” the Sea Witch hissed her features changing to reveal a wide smile filled with rows of teeth.

Lizzie flinched in horror at finally seeing the creature up close, the fingers resting on her face, elongating into sharp tendrils as the Sea Witch began transforming, her true face appearing and repulsed by the hideous creature’s touch she stepped backwards only to be stopped by a figure behind her.

Lizzie turned quickly to find Lucas standing there, his eyes gleaming red with excitement as the Sea Witch drew nearer.

She struggled, her fear rising, as he grabbed her hard by the hair, holding her from behind as the Sea Witch’s deformed hand grabbed her tightly around the throat and began to strangle the breath from her lungs but just as Lizzie thought all hope was lost, there was a sudden white blaze of light, that burst through the room and sent the Sea Witch flying backwards onto the floor, a deafening scream tearing from her lips.

“Search her now,” she demanded as she got to her feet once more. “There must be something protecting her, something we have missed.”

“There were no other gifts, Mistress,” Lucas answered. “We have them all.”

“You dare to argue with me?” she barked.

“No My Queen,” Lucas grovelled, “I will check again.”

He moved quickly so that he was now standing in front of Lizzie, his cold face inches from hers, glaring at her with hatred as he began to roughly search her, his hands hard and aggressive until finally he reached her chest where the necklace Tae had given her still hung hidden beneath her tunic.