Chapter Thirty-Three - The Monster Within

“You’re alright,” a surprised voice said, breaking through Lizzie’s dreams, and she opened her eyes to find the small boy leaning over her.

“Yeah, just great,” she remarked, sitting up and stretching her aching body, her hand straying up to a large lump on the back of her head, from the blow which had finally knocked her unconscious, as she was dragged from the chamber “Never felt better.”

“But you’re not sick. There’s no fever.”

“Should there be?” she inquired.

The little boy’s face broke into a beautiful smile as he flung himself forwards and hugged her tightly.

Slightly surprised by his actions Lizzie smiled as the boys closeness filled her with a sense of peace, his small act of compassion breaking away all the fear she felt. She hugged him back, suddenly grateful for his presence and as he pulled away, looking at his tear streaked face she was left wondering just how long he had been waiting for that hug.  “I’m sorry,” the little boy mumbled his cheeks turning pink with embarrassment. “It’s just I’ve never met anyone else who the magic didn’t affect before. It’s kind of a relief.”   

Lizzie smiled taking the boys hands in her own and squeezing them gently.

“It doesn’t help us get out of here though, does it,” she remarked, shaking her head in frustration. “If we could just get into the tunnels, I could find the markers easily but I just can’t….”

“Leave him,” the boy finished.

Lizzie nodded.

“I know it sounds stupid but I’m not ready to give up on him yet. I still need to believe I can reach him. That my friend is still somewhere inside.”

The little boy smiled weakly, squeezing her hands again.

“I hope for your sake you’re right,” he whispered, “Because he’s coming.”

******

Lucas strode down the dungeon steps; the power intoxicating as it rushed through his body, the familiar warmth unwavering in the chill dank passage as his fingers traced along the cold stone walls and his breath formed tiny clouds of air around him.

He’d forgotten how good it felt, how strong it made him feel like he was untouchable. He hadn’t felt like this in a long time, his inner monster finally free from where it had hidden dormant deep inside him, his unwillingness to let that part of him show, gone because he now no longer needed to worry.

Feeola had given him a way out, a way to escape, a way to no longer listen to the voices inside his head and he had never felt so free in his whole life.

It had been hard at first to ignore those voices, his conscious screaming out that it was wrong; that he should fight it, but the power was too strong, burning in his veins like poison until there was nearly nothing of him left; feeding on his anger born of years of loathing, years of hatred towards himself; towards his Mum but especially towards his Dad.

There had been one brief moment when he had seen Lizzie that he had faltered; had longed to reach out to her but that feeling had passed, washed away on a wave of yearning as he was enveloped once more by the sweet smell of flowers and although he could still feel that tiny flicker of remorse buried within him it was now quickly being smothered as the rush of energy flowed through him, washing away all the fear, the hurt, the guilt, that had been eating away at him for years.

He sighed deeply as he approached the cell door and with no apprehension abruptly entered, smiling to himself as he thought of Feeola; her silky voice, her warm caress, her beautiful face and realised that none of it mattered any longer as long as he was with her. Lizzie was waiting for him as he stepped inside, her face a mask of fear and Lucas suddenly felt an uncontrollable urge to lash out and hurt her; to punish her for trying to take him away from his new mistress but he shrugged the impulse away instead motioning for the guards to bring her as he led the way silently back to the throne room. He never talked as he walked beside her, his manner cold as she tried unsuccessfully to catch his eye until as they approached Feeola’s chamber she reached out, touching his arm gently and sending an electric shock racing through his body.