Chapter 2

Chapter 2

As I headed down the hall toward the kitchen I could hear mom talking to Xander about my latest dream. What she knew of it anyway. She never was one to press for the details. I guess it was scary enough having a daughter who faced such dangers every day without having to know all the gorey details. Xander, my older brother by one year was a bit more concerned than mom. I could hear it in his tone as he pressed mom for the details she didn't have. 

"Didn't you ask her mom? Surely she saw what or who it could've been." Xander said.

"No Xander, I didn't. I don't question these things. It isn't up to us to determine her destiny." Mom replied calmly.

"Mom, she said she was going to need help, but she didn't know who, or where it would come from, that has to mean something. Did she seem afraid?"

I walked into the kitchen at this point and had to put a stop to my brother's worry.

"Good Morning Xander."

"Raine," he started but before he could finish, I cut him off.

"Xander, I am not afraid, not really, this is just another one of those things I have to deal with, when the time comes, I will know, and I will be ready, as usual. No worries brother."

"But Raine..." "No Xander, I won't allow you to worry about this, it will be fine..... I just need to.......... sleep on it." 

I smiled at the pun. I grabbed a granola bar and headed off to school, my classes went by pretty quickly and by 3:00 I was ready to head home and finish up some homework from the night before. 

I should have known, that things wouldn't be quite that easy. I knew by now that with the appearance of my dreams was the appearance of him... The angel himself wasn't a surprise. His appearance however, was. The first time I laid eyes on him, I wasn't sure what I was looking at, and had it not been for the wings, I wouldn't have believed him at all. His skin was a golden bronze, a tan anyone who was a faithful tanner would have died for. His hair jet black, eyes like two emeralds set perfectly into his face. His full, luscious lips, would make a lesser woman squirm. His body was lean and muscular, made for fighting, but the angel himself was a messenger not a fighter. His strength lie in his words. And besides all this he was a friend, and ally, nothing more. He was not meant for me, not in that sense anyay, the fact that he was an angel not withstanding. Oh, he was created for me, but for another purpose, in a messenger, guardian type capacity. And his showing up, right then was no surprise. Kayne himself was a surprise, for all of his peaceful nature, his name meant warlike. And he looked it too. From his curly jet-black hair, glinting emerald eyes, lean strong body, tight black jeans and muscle T. The angel was a sight to behold, beauty, and dang near perfection. His wings were not the typical white you associate with angels by any means, as he tends to be ruled by his emotions, his wings are the darkest of purple, beautiful really. And undescribably so. They sparkle in any sort of light, as he is a good soul. He is just affected by the world, it saddens him. And his being here now, although he and I are friends is never a good thing. 

"Hello Raine"

"Kayne, I was expecting you."

"I know, How are you? I know of your dream already"

"I am well Kayne, tired, of course, What of this help, I am to expect? I have never needed or gotten any in the past."

"It is time young one, for you to meet him, he is a part of you. You have not dreamt of him as yet, but soon. He will be a key to defeating this thing which is coming. Without him, it will be impossible. For you are two halves of a whole. One will not work without the other, and thus, one will not survive without the other."

"Kayne, who is he? And what is he to me?"

"This is something you will learn soon, and on your own, I cannot tell you this."

"Are you his guardian too?"

"I am"

"Have you told him of me as well?"

"He knows as much as you do, and Raine, do be careful."

"Wait, Kayne...."

"Til next time, Raine."

With that he was gone. And I was left to think about all he had said. I wondered what in the world, he meant about two halves of the whole and who in the world this other half of me was. And how in the world was I supposed to figure it out. 

So I headed home. 

When I went through the front door, the smell of spaghetti and garlic bread hit my nostrils. Mom had made my favorite. I smiled. 

"Mom, I'm home!"

"In the kitchen Raine!"

"Xander home yet?"

"In here" came my brothers voice from his bedroom down the hall. I followed it and plopped down on his bed. 

"So you still mad at me bro?"

"Never was, Raine, just worried, just wish that  I could do something, anything to help you."

"You do, Xander, You're there, you pray, and you love me, that is more than enough."

"Doesn't feel like it to me" Xander said

"It is. I talked to Kayne on the way home."

"And?"

"Help is coming,and if any sense is to be made of Kayne the cryptic. This thing can only be defeated by together, just one of us won't do. Anyway, I just wanted you to know I won't be alone." 

I mock punched him in the arm as I said this. 

"As if that could ever happen sis, there is no replacement for me, ha!" 

With that he pounced, I never saw it coming, he bounced me right off the bed and into the floor and tickled me sensless, till I cried mercy. Then laughing let me up and we headed to the kitchen for dinner. By that time Dad was home.

"Hey dad!" I hugged him

"Hey Princess, how was your day?"

"Same ole, same ole"

"really?" dad asked, concerned.

"yep, unfortunately and fortunately" I filled him in on everything while we ate.

After dinner, I finished up my homework and watched some TV. Then got ready for bed. I thought over the dream and my day, especially my conversation with Kayne. This is something I had to do, sort of like studying for a test, it helps to remember details, as well as prepare me for what is next. And I couldn't help but wonder what that would be.