Part 14

Sorry about the long wait guys; I'm hoping that the next upload will be sooner. xx

“Are you still worrying about my mum?” Fred asked me a couple of days later as we walked back from the Quidditch pitch.

“Uh yeah” I said sarcastically.

“Don’t worry” he grinned “George and I are planning on leaving school soon so we can tell her then.”

“You’re leaving?”

He nodded “we’re done with school; especially now Umbridge is here not teaching us. We have a building down Diagon Alley; we’re just waiting until the time is right” he shrugged. “I thought that you were alright with this?”

“I am” I sighed “it’s just…I thought maybe you were gonna finish the year, that’s all.”

Fred smiled and nudged me with his broom “neither of us know when we’re gonna leave but we’re not going to go down fighting.” He winked.

I sighed again and stopped before facing Fred and saying “we have to tell her now…I mean, my dad knows so it wouldn’t be fair to keep your family in the dark about it.”

“I know” he replied mournfully “I was hoping you’d agree with me to put it off.”

“The sooner we get it done, the sooner we can stop worrying” I told him “how about we suggest a meet up in Hogsmead?”

Fred agreed and, that weekend, we found ourselves departing the common room looking as though we were about to attend a funeral. Fred had written to his parents, inviting them for a drink in the Three Broomsticks, and they’d agreed.

“So this is the beginning of the end” he sighed as he gripped my hand tightly. We were both staring at the pub, too nervous to enter.

“Maybe” I replied and then gulped before saying “most definitely” and hauling us in headfirst.

Molly was sitting by herself in the far corner. “Where’s your dad?”

I muttered to Fred as we walked over but Molly, who’d looked up just as we were half way waved a greeting at us and said “hello you two, I’m afraid it’s just me today; Arthur was called in at last minute but he sends his regards and his apologies.” Just as we reached the table.

“Oh that’s fine!” I replied, waving her off; my heart was beating frantically and I seem to have a serious case of nervous giggles.

Fred looked at me before saying “I’ll go and grab us drinks” and heading off to order.

I sat down opposite Mrs Weasley and smiled widely at her. She seemed to think that something was up because she said “Lilly, are you alright dear, you seem a little nervous.”

“Just fine, Mrs Weasley!” I giggled. Stop giggling! How was it I was more terrified of Fred’s mum than I was of my own father?

Fred returned with two bottles of Butterbeer and a gilliwater for Molly. We chatted for a while, putting it off until Fred nudged me, under the table, with his foot. Was he really going to wimp out and make me do it? Before I could open my mouth to speak Fred clasped my hand and stared at his mother nervously. “Mum, there is a reason I asked you to meet us here today. We need to talk to you.”

“Oh right?” Molly asked looking curious “what about?”

“Well” he paused and gripped my hand tighter “it’s just that…well…Lil’s pregnant.” We both waited with bated breath for her to start shouting but she didn’t.

“Oh, is that right?” she pursed her lips before sitting back in her chair. She claimed her drink and sipped it slowly until she was finished. “Are you two finished?” She asked pleasantly. Fred and I looked at each other in confusion before nodding and following her lead as she stood and made her way out into the street. When we were all out, Molly grabbed Fred and I by the ear and towed us to a quiet part of the village before she let rip. “Are you two playing a joke on me because it is not funny!” She shouted “I thought that you both were more responsible than this; Arthur and I trusted you both to behave and now you’re telling me that you’re pregnant? What does your father think about this?” She asked me harshly.

“I-I-I” I stammered “he said he’d support me in my choice.”

“Really?” She seemed a little surprised “I think I’m going to have a word with him.”

“Feel free” I replied quietly.

“This still does not clear up this issue” she told me before turning to Fred and saying “you are an idiot.” Molly paused and then shook her head “I am not happy with either of you but you have my support too. Now get back to school so I can have time to process this.”

When Fred and I got back to the castle, I skipped out on dinner and headed straight for Gryffindor tower where I all but set up camp in my bed. Telling Mrs Weasley today had been harder that I’d thought; the Weasley’s were the last family that needed to know and now that they do everything just feels that much more real and to say that I was freaking out would be one of the milder terms anyone could use.

Hermione found me three hours later, stretched out on my bed and staring unseeingly above me. “Want to talk about it?” She asked simply as she sat down on my bed.

I ignored her.

“This is happening whether you are ready or not” she reminded me “freak out now so that you’re prepared later.”

“I’m not freaking out” I grumbled and then saw her face “ok, maybe I am a little. It’s just all so…” I sighed heavily and shook my head “I’m such an idiot.”

“Nobody is denying that” Hermione replied “but you can either be an idiot who stepped up or an idiot who gave up backed down. Which one are you going to choose?” She smiled at me before getting up “Harry and Ron are talking about having a mini feast when everyone’s in bed; you’re welcome to join us.” Then she left me alone.