Chapter9: Identity Crisis

ChapterNine-Identity Crisis

November 7th, 2004

  It's Monday, and it's back to school. So far, UTurn has acted as if they hadn't made the live semi-finals of New England's Teen Superstar. As far as anyone knows, UTurn is still a secret. Libby, on the other hand, wasn't interested in keeping UTurn a secret. Let alone let them win NETS. 

  So Libby met up with one of the 6 performing arts students who made the semi-finals, Sarah. Libby said in her fake sincerity, "Hi semi-finalist! I'm so happy for you!"

   Sarah asked in an irritated tone, "The name's Sarah, and what do you want bitch?"

   "What do you think of UTurn?" Libby asked.

  "They're good, but they're hypocrites and too 'pop'. So is your little girl group. Why are you asking?"

  Libby said sternly, "I want to destroy UTurn. Can you and your musical students help me?"

  "What's in it for us?"

  "A destroyed UTurn with its members on the bottom of the social scale."

  "Deal."

  With that, Libby smiled.

 School is out, and just as the UTurn members were leaving their classes, they all got a text-message from Libby. It said to meet her in the school's dance studio. They did, and when they arrived, they saw the 6 soloists (Jeremy, Sarah, Andres, Karen, John, and Jaclyn) and Pretty4Uz.

 Alyson asked, "What's going on?"

 Libby said smugly, "I set up a sing-and-dance-off for you, Pretty4Uz, and the 6 musical kids."

 Andrew asked suspiciously, "Why...are you...doing this?"

 Jeremy replied, "Just to see how good UTrash really is."

 Andrew said with his teeth clenching, "UTurn, can I talk to you all privately?"

 Andrew gathered the band in a huddle. He whispered to them,"They're gonna see how trained I am."

 Bailey, getting irritated,whispered, "Andrew, they know we're good. What's there to hide? Besides, we wouldn't be this good if it weren't for you being our choreographer and voice coach."

 Alyson chimed in, also whispering, "Don't forget I also choreographed."

 Justin whispered, "I'm with Bailey on this. They know we're a pop band. So let's show them how good we really are."

 The members got out of their huddle and faced their competition. Alyson said confidently, "Pretty4Uz, show us what you got. Then the 6 soloists go next, and we go last."

 Libby said, "Deal."

 Pretty4Uz on the a CD, played Toxic by Britney Spears, and sang and dance to the song. When they finished, the 6 soloists each sang and danced various songs. The songs came from musicals. 

 Then UTurn put on a CD, played Fool No More by S Club 8, and sang and danced to the song. Even though the song was sung by girls, the guys had their parts. Out of everyone, UTurn was the best, but Libby wasn't happy with the result.

 Libby said in an irritated tone, "Round two!"

 Andrew, also irritated, said, "No! We sang better than you all, so we won."

 Andres said, "No, we do round 2. It's only fair."

 Andrew rolled his eyes. So the sing-and-dance-off ended up having 7 rounds, and UTurn won all of them. Libby and the 6 soloists were angry. The other members of Pretty4Uz were just impressed.

 Libby said, "I don't get it! Andrew, how can you sing and dance so well? I know my step-daddy helped you talk, but I didn't think he'd make you sing and dance!"

 Andrew said smugly, "He didn't. I was professionally trained in dance, singing, and theatre. In the past 3 summers, I've been going to New York City to take part in summer musicals. So it makes sense that I would be better than everyone else."

 Everyone was in shock by what Andrew said and being stuck-up. Then John said sternly, "Andrew, admit it. You're one of us, the performing artists. And besides, just because you had 'professional training' in the arts doesn't mean you can act like you're better than us. Cuz you're not!"

 Immediately Andrew realized what he just said. Once John noticed Andrew's realization, he gave an evil grin. Andrew asked him sternly, "What are you gonna do?"

 John and the other 5 soloists evilly grinned as they left the studio. Libby, on the hand, walked by Alyson. She said to Alyson, "Alyson, I won't say anything about your now-loser boyfriend. But he's popularity and power will fall, and I'll make sure of it."

 Alyson said nothing, then Libby walked out. Stacie, Melissa, and Kat followed Libby. The UTurn members just stood there.

 Justin asked, "What just happened?"

 Andrew said hopelessly, "I'm screwed, that's what happened."

 The next day, as Andrew arrived in school, he was getting stares. He wasn't sure what was going on, so he asked Alyson, "Alyson, what's going on? Everyone's oddly staring at me."

 Alyson said, "Remember yesterday when you blurted out about your 'professional training'?"

 Andrew asked nervously, "Yeah. Why?"

 "It's all over the internet. Stacie texted me that it was posted on the school's gossip blog, 'The Burn Blog'."

 Andrew was horrified hearing this. Just then, Andrew's friends approached him. Amanda was also there. One of his friends, George, spoke up, taunting, "So Andrew, when were you planning on telling us that you're weak?"

 The guys laughed, but Andrew was furious. He said to them, "Those are nothing but f*cking rumors! They're not true!"

 "Really? They seem pretty convincing."

 With that, Andrew punched George in the face. Soon Andrew started beating up his guy friends. Amanda and Alyson tried to stop him.

 Amanda yelled at Andrew, "Hawthorne, what is your f*cking problem?"

 Andrew stopped and glared at Amanda. She continued, "Damn it, Andrew! I don't know who you are anymore! I knew you were this mean yet sexy athlete, but now I find out you're this Broadway guy?! What else is there? Are you a nerd? Are you bisexual or gay? Who the f*ck are you?!"

 Both Andrew and Alyson were stunned when they heard that. Then Andrew stormed off. Alyson asked her angrily,"Bitch, why do you have to say that to Andrew?"

 Amanda replied, "Because he never told me anything, but I guess he told you everything."

 "He trusts me more than he trusts you. At least that's what he told me."

 Then Alyson walked off to find Andrew. She found him sitting in a quiet corner in the school's library.

 Alyson asked him quietly, "Andrew, are you okay?"

 Andrew replied, also quietly, "Amanda's right, I don't know who I am myself."

 "Andrew..."

 Andrew said a little louder, "But it's true! I'm living these multiple lives. I'm this athlete, then I'm a bully, then I'm nice, then I'm this performing artist. Not to mention I'm one of the smartest students in school. I have an identity crisis, a really bad one."

 Alyson reassured him, "Andrew, you're not alone. Justin has been insecure about being in both UTurn and the school's football team. Me? Well, I'm scared of what people would think of me when they find out I also had extensive performing arts training. Bailey had the same training, and she's very open about it. We're all gonna get through this. Together."

 Andrew smiled, and kissed Alyson on her lips.