Chapter 8: Get Her Out

Start from the beginning

"We're stronger than you think." A voice boomed over the clip. "And we will not back down."

Videos of bombs raining down on District 5 filled the screen. A computer animated clip of explosions spreading across the Capitol followed. "You're next." The voice threatened.

"Holy shit." Plutarch muttered.

"This is bad." Coin fumbled with the communication device on her wrist. "Someone interrupt the signal. Stop this. They're posing as us."

A clip of a Peacekeeper and a District woman flashed across the screen.

"Wait." I murmured. "Maybe it's not all bad."

The Peacekeeper looked to be threatening the woman. They were waving their gun around while the woman cowered. Just as the Peacekeeper raised their gun to hit the woman, a body jumped in between them, and a fist connected with the Peacekeeper's helmet.

"Back down." Snow's voice boomed even louder than the original voiceover. "Leave her alone."

The screen flickered some more. More images of explosions and wounded, more gunfire, until it all suddenly cut to the symbol of District 13.

"Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Are we back on?" Caesar's voice asked as the screen faded to black. "Okay good."

The segment returned to Snow and Caesar sitting across from each other. Snow's face was horrorstruck. Her hands were shaking. Tear streaks stained her face.

"Sorry." She wiped her face. "It's just like reliving it."

Caesar nodded sympathetically. "Tragic, isn't it?"

"Repulsive as well." Snow snapped as she fiddled with a bracelet around her wrist, pushing up her sleeve ever so slightly. "They're cowards, hiding behind their screens. Though from a group hiding people like...well...I can't say I didn't expect as much."

"The lives lost-"

"Absolutely horrific. I hope they're all in a better place." Snow wiped her eyes again.

"Maybe onto happier things? I hear your birthday is coming up soon." Caesar winked.

Snow laughed. "Yes, well, I suppose I have to get older sometime."

"Rumor has it there will be a ball."

"Well," Snow laughed again. "President Snow likes to spoil me. He knows that Panem has been under such distress, and he hopes this party will lighten the mood."

"What do you think?"

"I think that there will be a lot of food, and that makes me happy." Snow shrugged and giggled. "But yes, I'm looking forward to it. Kern will be taking me."

"Kern? From your old District?"

"An old friend of mine." Snow nodded. "It'll be fun and I hope many people will join us in the celebration."

"It sounds like a lot of fun." Caesar laughed. "Anyone who's anyone will be there."

"Yes, well, this celebration shouldn't just be for me. It should be for the people too. Which is why President Snow and I have come up with what I think is a fabulous idea!"

"Oh, do tell." Caesar leaned in excitedly.

"Two people from each District, a boy and a girl, will be selected to attend the festivities." Snow smiled. "Of course they'll be screen intensively, but it's mere safety precautions. I hope that in the future, with my help, the Capitol will be able to reach out more to the citizens. This is the first step."