XI - The Little Things

(F/n)'s P.O.V

I woke up with a massive headache and terrible cold the next day. I sent a quick text to Roxas telling him I was sick and I wouldn't be able to hang out at the usual spot that day. I started to put my phone back under my pillow until it started ringing, making me jump out of my skin.

"Hello?" I said, picking up the phone.

"What do you mean, 'sick'?!" exclaimed Roxas through the phone.

"I have a headache and a cold," I explained, my voice hoarse. There was a long silence for a while, and I was starting to worry that he wasn't there anymore. "Roxa-"

"I'll be right there!" with that, he hung up and left me staring at my ceiling in confusion. What?

Not long later, I heard intense knocking at my door.

"(Nickname)? Can I come in?" said a panicked Roxas on the other side of the door.

"Uh, yeah... sure come in." I said in absolute bewilderment. Roxas didn't hesitate to budge in through the door when I said that.

"Okay, so I brought a thermometer, ice, some medicine for the cold, tissues... did I need anything else?" Roxas asked me.

I sat up and looked at him in surprise, "Um... Roxas, what-"

"I'm looking after you today," he stated simply, "I already told the others so it's oka-"

"Roxas. Slow down. No one told you you had to take care of me, I'll be fine! Even better so now since you brought all this stuff." I smiled at him. "So you should go with the others."

There was a long pause between the two of us for a while.

"I just want to spend time with you," he said quietly while looking down. Those words took me aback for a moment since I didn't expect him to say that.

"U-um... you know you could just spend time with me every other day, right?" I said, trying to regain myself.

"The usual spot isn't the same without you, (Nickname)." Roxas admitted, looking back up at me. I blinked a few times to process these sentences. Oh my gawd he's being serious.

I slumped back down on my bed, "Geez... Fine, since I can't stop you..." I trailed off, looking away. I could feel his face brighten up as he went full on medic mode to get me better.

* * *

"I'm exhausted," Roxas breathed out, slumping on the chair next to my bed.

"You're the one who wanted to take care of me in the first place." I giggled.

He chuckled to himself, "I know right?" we both laughed for a bit at each other just for the fun of being with one another at that moment.

"I'm gonna take a nap." I said afterwards. My eyelids were feeling heavy anyway so why not?

"Gotcha," came the reply from Roxas.

I closed my eyes, a smile on my face and dreamed.

I'm glad he's here right now.

Roxas' P.O.V

I leaned my head back and stared at her bedroom ceiling for a while just thinking to myself how great it felt just to be here with her. With (F/n). I got up to the kitchen after a while to get some water, and while doing so I found a photo. Funny thing is, it wasn't just a random picture. It was the picture from the day she was dared to kiss me on the cheek, put up on her refrigerator door. I smiled to myself looking at it, and although I wanted to take that photo to be mine, I figured she should have it.

Who knows, maybe that day actually means something to her anyway.

(F/n)'s P.O.V

Where... am I?

I'm standing, but... where? Just where am I at this moment? I could tell you one thing: I was surrounded by pitch black once again. Why does this happen? Suddenly the platform I was standing on seemed to come to life; it lit up in a bright white just as it did in my dream before. I immediately started scanning it: yep, they were all still there... Sora, Kairi, Riku, Roxas...

...Axel...

I was still puzzled by why Axel was there in the first place. This is my heart, right? So why is Axel also connected to it? What connection do I have with him in the first place?

I walked over to where his face was placed and stood on top of it.

"Why are you connected to me?" I asked the ground as if it could hear me. Suddenly a bright light took over my vision and some weird images took its place. It was like I was sent to a completely different place that seemed so familiar. It was mostly a grey area if you didn't include the windows. It had couches and I recognized the people who were sitting on them: Organization XIII members.

I then suddenly heard Axel's voice.

"Hey, member thirteen, right? What's the hold-up? We have a mission to carry," he said behind me. I turned around to face him while he walked past me.

Member thirteen... is this Roxas' perspective?

I woke up right after that. I sat up in bed and looked around, just to make sure I was back in reality.

"Sleep well?" Roxas asked next to me. I turned to look at him with a smile and nodded my head. He smiled back, "That's good to hear."

We talked for a little longer to kill some time.

"Hey, why did you want to take care of me anyway?" I asked Roxas out of sheer curiosity.

He shrugged, "I guess as your best friend, I'm gonna be there for the little things." I smiled at him again, everything he said and the way he said it always found a way to my heart, carved in it. Eventually he had to leave. "See you tomorrow," he said before closing the door on his way out.

I nodded, "Yup! See you."

It was when he closed the door that I started thinking: What was that dream supposed to be about?