Chapter Seven

Alex's Perspective

A few days later, I'm a little worried. I haven't heard from John since Monday, and he hasn't come to school in three days. Maybe he's just sick, but Peggy would have told me. Out of our friends, she's the unofficial nurse- the one who will come over with cards and hugs and candy if you get so much as a cold.

I open my phone and scroll through the recent texts.

Me: Morning babe! See you at school 😊 (7:29 am)
Me: Hope you're not sick...I bluffed for you in class (3:08 pm)
Me: Are you okay, John? (1:16 am)
Me: John? (1:35 am)
Me: I love you... (3:42 am)

John hasn't replied to my texts, picked up any of my calls, or even showed up in class. I'm more nervous than ever now. I'm sitting on the sofa alone, reading one of my favorite old books, To Kill a Mockingbird.

It's so quiet here, without someone to talk to. I could call Peggy, but that's too much change from quiet too quickly. Suddenly, my phone chimes on the coffee table, and I lunge for it, sending it skidding onto the carpet and knocking over my cup of coffee.

Now I have to clean up a steaming coffee stain. Cursing, I wipe at the carpet with a paper towel, trying not to make it worse. The phone beeps at me again, letting me know that I have two texts.

Peggy: Alexander? We need your help.
Peggy: Would you please meet me in the park near Ramos Lane?

As I watch, a third comes in.

Peggy: Please hurry. John needs you.

John? Peggy's seen John? Ignoring the coffee stain on the floor, I shove my phone into my pocket, grab my coat and keys off the table, and dash outside to the car.

When I arrive at the park, I have to walk for a few moments before I find Peggy. She's sitting under the weeping willow tree, only her cheerful yellow dress visible under the hanging leaves.
I push the thick green vines aside and join her under the tree.

Peggy is sitting with her back against the trunk of the tree. She looks like she's been crying a little, because her mascara is running. Her dress is covered in little damp patches.
John- oh, thank God, John- rests his head on her lap. He's lying down, and seems to be sobbing uncontrollably.

His eyes are swollen and red, and his face is puffy. He's just lying there crying, and I feel horrible. I take a seat next to Peggy and stroke John's hair.
"What happened?" I ask softly, trying not to alarm him.

John sits up a little and practically throws himself into my arms. I'm a little surprised, so I'm knocked back a bit.
"Alex, I...I..." His voice is broken, and I pull him closer.
"Don't talk, John. Just...shh. Breathe."

Peggy tries to stretch up taller from her seated position, probably because John and I are leaning across her to hug each other.
"I'll tell him, John." She wipes her own eyes with the sleeve of her dress and then takes a deep breath.

"Alex, a while ago John's mom was diagnosed with acute leukemia and wasn't expected to live for very long. She pulled through and was in remission up until last month."
John sniffles a little.
"Last month, her symptoms started coming back. She went in for chemotherapy, but it wasn't helping. Three days ago, she was admitted to the ICU for chest pain, difficulty breathing, and seeing spots. John brought her in because she blacked out while making dinner."

I rub John's back, and I can feel his staggered breaths, shaking under the strain of so much emotion.

"John's been home taking care of his little brother James and his little sister Marie. His mom...she passed away last night."

A massive sob shakes John's skinny frame. He pulls himself into a sitting position. "Remember at the Schuyler's house when I got drunk? That was the night my mom went in for her first round of chemotherapy. I needed an escape."

"What are you going to do now?" I ask. If John was an only child, I would offer to let him move in, but I don't have enough money or room in the house for a nine year old and a six year old. His siblings are adorable and super nice, but I have exactly one bed and one couch, and each room is about the size of a broom closet.

"I'll pick up some extra shifts at the coffee shop where I work. See if the bookstore where Angelica works is hiring. I'll be eighteen next year, and then I can get more jobs and take better care of them. I just...I don't know what to do any more. James understands that Mom died, but Marie keeps asking when she's coming back."

Peggy pulls us both into a hug. "It'll get easier. Trust me. It's going to, slowly, but it will."

John's crying slows down, until finally it turns into soft breathing. Peggy and I look at him, and discover that he's sleeping peacefully, breath gentle. The two of us sit together in the sleepy park, under the tree, letting him rest as we know he would do for us.