Prologue

Prologue

Slowly she treaded her way up the doorsteps of her Land Lady's chambers she could smell the cigar's smoke lurking inside, the pungent odor made her cough several times before she proceeds on knocking.

"Mrs. Summers?" she called and waited but no one answered, seeing that the blinds from the window pane were slightly ajar her eyes peek on it and saw what seems to be delay.

Apparently, her landlady was writhing beneath her 'client' on the table doing acrobatic exercise of sort, her cheeks flushed red and hastily averted her eyes before she could sin any further. As much as she hates interrupting them, she knocks a bit louder.

"Mrs.---"

The door flew open and Mrs. Summer's disheveled clothes and swollen lips greeted her.

"Hello dear! How may I help you?" She asked a bit intoxicated.

She carefully handed her this month's rent, the older woman's eyes immediately glistened counting the crisp paper bills fastidiously. Satisfied by her calculations she smelled the paper bills and roughly stuffed it down her well-endowed breasts.

"Good night Mrs. Summers."

Half way along the stairs she turns to look back and saw the door shutting behind with a thud. With long careful strides she reaches her own room and lay abruptly on her bed, rolling over to face the ceiling. She heaves a heavy sigh. Managing to secure this month's rent almost cost her arm and leg; her body couldn't keep up with heavy workloads on those three jobs but how will she manage next month's rent? Or the next? And the next after?

Maybe handling three jobs during the day isn't enough, she could spare another, in fact, she needed two more before her school starts next month. She could get by the scholarship she had but the books and many other miscellaneous expenses don't come cheap this year. Grunting at her endless money problems she rolls over at the edge of her small bed covering her body with blanket and sleeps with crease eyebrows thinking "money must be funny in a rich man's world" a song quote she remembered from the movie Mama Mia a long ago.