How To Fail at Making Friends

I've never been the best at making friends, but even I knew that stalking said potential friends all day is the one of the worst ways to meet them.

Technically speaking, I suppose I had met some of them before. But that didn't make us friends. Then again, I wouldn't know. I didn't exactly have friends to compare the situation to.

They were in someone's backyard, sitting around the pool with their legs dangling in. The tall stocky one--Deynan?--was splashing the more petite, curly brown haired girl. I was almost positive her name was Sophie. They were all laughing, talking, enjoying themselves. A small part of my heart ached to join them, but was replaced with a wave of sadness, because, knowing me, I'd make everything awkward and ruin their fun.

So far today, they had gone to see a movie, played a game of soccer in the park, tried to make a cake (I say tried because it ended up in a food fight), cleaned up the mess from the baking disaster, and sat by the pool, just talking. Their friendship was truly incredible. I had been watching all day with awe and a tinge of sadness.

Also guilt. I was stalking them, plain and simple. That was creepy.

Just then, a curly haired boy ran out onto the back porch. "Sia! Mommy says I hafta go to bed and I gotta say goodnight."

Sierra. I knew Sierra.

She stood up and walked onto the porch, sweeping the little boy up in a big hug. "Goodnight, Wyatt," she said with a smile.

He giggled. "Goodnight, Sia." He waved to all the people sitting by the pool. "Goodnight, Sia's friends!"

They waved with a chorus of 'goodnight's, and Sierra ushered him back inside. She walked back off the porch to her seat by the pool.

"He calls you Sia?" I heard Deynan snicker. "Like the singer?"

Sierra laughed. "Honestly, I've never made the connection before."

"Not everything is a reference, Deynan," the scary redhead girl said, kicking a wave of water at Deynan.

He glared at her angrily. "Oh, you wanna go?" he challenged.

"You know what?" Ravi suggested, standing up, "maybe we should go for a walk."

"Good idea," Sierra agreed, following suit.

They collectively stood up and starting sliding on their shoes. Sierra raised her voice over the shuffle of feet. "The woods are really pretty this time of night. Let's go through there."

"Sounds like a plan," the blond boy said.

My heart skipped a beat. I was in the woods.

They began walking towards the spot I was hiding. I panicked. What to do, what to do...

I slowly started making my way to the left and hid myself behind some trees. I heard their chatter and the crunch of leaves beneath their feet pass me by. I let out a slight sigh of relief.

I began following them, as slowly as I could without losing them. I was clumsy as a walrus in the jungle, but by some miracle, I managed not to make any noise. Or at least, any noise loud enough for them to hear.

My heart thudded so loudly, it felt like my chest was about to explode. When was I going to approach them? It had to happen soon. Preferably, before they went back to that school.

Suddenly, I stepped on a twig, which made a loud snap. I froze. They froze.

I silently cursed twigs, revealer of stalkers in movies and life since the dawn of time.

Monsters: The Folklore Trilogy Book 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara