Chapter Nine: Moments

Chapter Nine

Moments

Mizushima Kasumi’s Point of View

            After we splashed and waded in the water, we went our separate ways to change and wash up. Upon doing so, I changed into a cerulean, grass green, and white tie-dye T-shirt along with black Nike sport shorts. Since the T-shirt was too long and reached over my shorts, I tied it up slightly with my hair tie.

            “Hey, ready to go to the park?” I asked, after I had exited the women’s room.

            Nanase was already there and was resting upon a gate wall as he waited for me, “As I’ll ever be.”

            As we walked to the park, we conversed along the way about random topics and about each other. There was an endless amount of topics to be spoken, but the eerie silence made it too awkward to even say anything. Thoughts taking laps around my head as I finally comprehended them.

            “Was I talking too much?”

            “Was I being too open?”

            “Should I be more quiet and let him do some of the talking?”

            By now . . . we just observed the glittering stars that scattered the night sky. We were both swinging on the swings lightly as the constellations came into view. And, Kami, were they beautiful.

            Soon, the peculiar silence was left comfortably. It was tacitly understood . . . Nothing else was needed to say to imply such meaning . . . Clutching the chains of the swings a little tighter, I felt a soft, yet firm, hand envelop into mine.

            Nanase . . .

            I gazed into his deep, azure eyes . . . I could have sworn that they were like water itself. An endless ocean of wavering waters.

            It was now that I ultimately realized that . . .

            “I am in love with Nanase Haruka.”

Nanase Haruka’s Point of View

            At this point in time, I didn’t really know what to do. Should I speak and pick up a lasting conversation? Or should I continue to stand by and continue with the silence?

            Automatically, without my knowing it, I took her hand and covered it with mine. Her petite, gentle hand felt soft and tender . . . and it especially felt right in mine. We held hands and stared at the countless stars. They were glittering like diamonds in the sky. Don’t get my wrong, I know that phrase is said too often, but it is yet, again, the truth.