18: BRITTA

I'm smiling and I probably shouldn't be. But I can't force my face back to neutral. I can't force it out of this silly grin like it's been pinned there with needles and stiches. And then I'm overrun by an unstoppable wave of shaking – panic that rushes through my body, plowing over my rational thoughts and leaving me gasping for air.

I don't know what I feel. I feel like I'm dying.

And I am dying so I suppose this is nothing. It doesn't mean anything at all.

It's always been nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing. I've felt nothing and that's how it's supposed to be. I don't have family, not really. I don't have friends. I don't feel guilt or I'd kill myself. And living is the only thing I know how to do. Feelings have never come into play.

And suddenly all I am is a mixing pot of what I can only describe as feelings. Sensations that rip through my mind and body, tearing me to shreds, picking away at me until all I am is nothing but raw meat left out in the sun to melt away.

And I don't know what they are, I don't like them, and I want them to go away.

But then I think of that funny burning in my chest, the way my limbs go fuzzy, the way the corner of my mouth tilts upwards without my permission.

And maybe, maybe, maybe, it might not be that bad.