THREE.

a/n: okay, so i understand it's been a couple of months and a few of you are quite anxious for me to update !!! aaahhh i'm so sorry ─ i've just been caught up with other things and i was beginning to really lose inspiration in writing this book.

but need not worry, the inspiration is back and hopefully it stays !! however, my updates may be quite slow. i'm not too sure yet. thanks for sticking with me, enjoy this crappy chapter.

. . .

lucas friar
The bright, flashing lights blinded me as I made my way around the crowded dance floor. The hall that was provided for the semi formal clearly was not big enough to fit the school, I thought in annoyance, but none of that mattered once I saw Maya, adorned in a rose-colored dress with her hair tied back into a neat, slick ponytail. The redness against her pale skin made her look almost translucent, emphasising the sky blue of her eyes.

She glanced up, suddenly taking small cautious strides towards me in order to avoid tripping in her red high heeled shoes. I nervously fidgeted with my fingers as she approached me, her warm hands grasping mine and suddenly I had forgotten how to breathe.

I looked at her, her entire face lit up from our immediate embrace. And then she leaned closer to me, inching upwards on her toes as I could practically taste the sweet redness of her lips, until there was almost no distance between us and─

"Lucas!"

I was never quite the optimistic dreamer, but if this was reality, I wanted no part in it.

Every single fragment of my dream suddenly dissipated, now reducing to nothing but a distant memory. One that was rather bitter sweet.

"You were thinking about Maya, weren't you," I heard Farkle chime in, a playful tone hinted in his voice.

It took me a full moment to regain complete consciousness as I looked around the room, adjusting my eyes to the bright lighting and loud voices surrounding me. The environment was completely different to the dark ballroom I was just in. No loud music, no dancing people, no flashing disco lights, and certainly no Maya Hart. I slowly turned my head to the right, greeted by a smirking Farkle.

"Yes, I was. But you ruined it," I muttered as I slapped him on the back of his head. He punched me on the shoulder in retaliation, and to be completely honest, it hurt. A lot. I could already feel the imprinted bruise burning on my arm. If I continued what I had with Riley, I could only imagine what else he could do to me.

"Friar! Minkus! Behave," our math teacher yelled at us from behind.

"Sorry," we both apologised, lowering our heads. I risked a simple glance at Farkle to find him already staring back at me, wearing a smug look on his face as he greasily smirked. God, he was so cocky sometimes.

"Shut up," I defensively whispered to him, prompting a small laugh to escape from both our lips.

Farkle shakes his head amusingly and looks back at the paper in front of him, squinting his eyes concernedly as he scribbled down a bunch of mathematical equations. I rested my head on the wooden table, closing my eyes hoping to return to my previous dream where Maya and I had almost kissed.

"A few of us are going to go to Topanga's after school, you coming?"

My eyes immediately shot open as I annoyingly glanced up at Farkle. I couldn't catch a break here. I sighed, sitting upright before exhaling loudly, "I've already made plans with Riley."