Chapter Three

Storm narrowed her eyes, focusing on the fronds in front of her. Foxspots' scent was thick in the air; she knew he was somewhere behind or near these fronds. Cautiously, she adjusted her hunters crouch before crawling forward through the thick leaves. She poked her head through the other end.

Foxspots sat in the clearing, his back facing Storm. This is my chance! She thought with excitement. She shifted her weight to her haunches and leapt at Foxspots, her paws outstretched to tackle him. When she was about to make contact, Foxspots quickly scooted to the left, causing Storm to land on her belly and slide across the grass. She let out a growl of irritation as she stopped. Pressure made contact with in between her shoulder blades and she glanced over her shoulder to see Foxspots looking down at her, his green eyes glowing in the dim forest light.

"You're getting better," he encouraged, lifting his paw from in between her shoulder blades. Storm sat up, shaking out her fur.

"Try balancing your weight more evenly between both of your sides," he advised. "Also, jump either before or after you enter the fronds. That easily gave you away."

"Oh, foxdung!" Storm spat, realizing her silly mistake. She sighed, and Foxspots gave her a friendly smile.

"Hey, like I said, you're getting better," he reminded her optimistically. Storm smiled back, her heart lifted.

She and Foxspots had been training for the past moon, and now that her wounds were healed and the only remaining marks were scars, she would join the Clan and train to become even better. Storm felt herself growing closer and closer to Foxspots every day. The dark ginger tom was her second friend in the Clan, the first being Lilypaw.

"Come on, you're ceremony is at sunhigh," Foxspots broke her from her thoughts, turning and padding out of the clearing. Storm followed him, her pelt prickling with excitement. This was her chance to become a Clan cat. Her thoughts drifted to what kind of cat she would be if she had her memories. The thought disturbed her; how could she loose her memory just like that? Should I be trying to figure out who I was before? Storm wondered as she saw the thorn barrier come into view. She pushed the thought to the back of her mind. I can always figure it out once I join the Clan, she told herself as she followed Foxspots into camp. Storm scanned the clearing. Featherstar was sunning herself on the Highledge, seeming to wait for Storm's return. Storm smiled as she made her way into the main clearing. Featherstar rose to her paws.

"Let all cats old enough to catch your own prey gather under the Highledge for a Clan meeting!" Featherstar's voice rang through the clearing. The echo sent shivers down Storm's spine in awe. Foxspots looked over at her, letting out a purr of amusement at her spunkiness.

"You're like a kit on their sixth moon," he commented. Storm looked over and rolled her eyes at him jokingly.

"Oh, whatever," she brushed off his comment with a smile. Before she could say anymore, Featherstar began to speak.

"As you all know, four moons ago, a border patrol found a young cat unconscious on the shore of the lake," Featherstar announced. "Today, I would like to welcome this cat as a member of our Clan. Storm, please step forward."

Storm felt the states of the rest of the Clan as she stood and trotted forward. Despite the pressure and the judgmental stares, she kept her head high as she moved to underneath the Highledge.

"Storm, do you promise to learn our code and follow it? To serve and protect your Clan and clanmates, even if it costs your life in turn?"

"I do," Storm replied after a moment of silence. Featherstar smiled down at her, giving a small nod of approval.