Chapter 1: Something Different

"Emily", my step dad yelled throughout the house.

I was hiding in my cubby hole, as my mom called it. Today was supposed to be the best day of my life. Only a few hour earlier, today was the best day of my life. I stood atop the podium and qualified into elite gymnastics, but my day quickly turned sour only a few hours ago when my coach called.

I held the letter in my trembling hands. I couldn't believe it. Every since I was a little girl I dreamed of wearing a USA leotard and hearing the USA national enter play as I stood atop of the podium, but that will never happen.

"There you are," my dad said.
I quickly looked up at the figure who was blurred by tears that had been pouring out of my eyes like a waterfall. I got out of my cubbyhole and he gave me a hug. After a few moment of silence, he said, "It's okay, it will be okay. There is always a way."
We then bid each other goodnight and I ran upstairs and go to bed, or at least tried to. I tossed and turned to the left and right, while occasionally getting up to get a glass of water. Whenever I closed my eyes, another tear sneaked out. It was clear that I wasn't getting any sleep tonight.

The next morning, was a Monday and I had to get ready for school. I tried faking a fever so I wouldn't have to go, but I failed.
After being told school wasn't an option, I went over to the bathroom, took a quick shower, and threw my hair up into a messy bun.

I grabbed my backpack and gym bag, and then headed to school.

I put my headphones in and slowly began my walk to school.

First period was Spanish which makes me want to bang my head on my desk..multiple times. I couldn't focus.

"Porqué tú no escuchas a mi ?" My teacher asked.

Everyone was staring right at me. It took me a couple seconds to translate what she said: she asked me why I wasn't listening to her.

I replied, "Lo siento" , which means I'm sorry.

The rest of the day went on like a usual day, but then there was 8th period.

8th period is math, but not just math. Math with Steve. The only friend I have in that class. He is that one person who I can tell everything.

Today during math I began writing a little note to him that described what was happening with me and gymnastics . After a few minutes of reading it, he wrote something down on it and then passed the note back to me . I looked down at it and it read, "well that sucks, do you know if there is any way to can compete for team Russia? I know Russia isn't your first choice, but it still is one. "

I looked back at him and smiled. My coach said the same thing.

Represent your home country
I think is how he phrased it...or something like that.

After school I immediately biked to gymnastics practice. I usually would go to subway to get a quick bite before practice, but I needed to talk to my coach.

I walked up to my coaches office and asked him if we could talk about something. He looked at me concerned. Did he think I was quitting?

I told him everything about how I was rejected from applying for team USA because I wasn't a US citizen, unlike what I used to believe.

He sat in his chair shocked. We talked for the next couple of minutes on how I found out and he didn't.

"Emily, what do you want to do about it?"

I looked down at my knees, and then looked up at him. I was shaking but I managed to say it load enough for him to hear it. "I want to compete for Team Russia"

He nodded his head, and said "ok, I'll see what I can do"

Little did I know that that one choice, those seven words, would change my life forever.