Chapter 4 - Natsu's Question

I turn off the tv in the living room and walk down the hall to my room. I crawl in my bed and twist the locket in my hands. Lucy. Why is this such a coincidence? I found the locket when she was sleeping on the bench right next to me and her name is Lucy? Whatever. I'll think about this tomorrow. 

The dim morning light peeks through the curtains as I get up. I stretch out my arms and legs, then get out of bed and walk down the hall to my kitchen. To my surprise, there are plates already set out on the table. And Lucy is sitting right next to the microwave. How do you make this work? She writes on a napkin. I go over to where she is sitting, then I put 2 frozen croissant sandwiches inside. 

Lucy's mouth waters as the sandwiches heat up and becomes our breakfast. I take them out with a paper towel then hand one to her. I demonstrate how to eat it by blowing on mine because it's hot. She does the same. We enjoy our sandwiches while sitting on my windowsill. Lucy smiles when I turn her way. She sure is great company while Lisanna is gone. My heart skips a beat when Lucy hugs me for 3 seconds. I suspect it was her form of thanks.

But why did my heart skip a beat? That was weird. It's 6:35. I need to leave in 15 minutes to get to work by 7. But where is Lucy supposed to go? Well, she needs someone to care for her, and I haven't missed a day of work in 2 years. I guess I might have to take her with me...no. I will make a sacrifice and stay home with her. 

I get up and go inside to call in sick to the office. Call in sick for the rest of the week that is. When I get back, I finally realize all of the scars, scratches and bruises on her skin. She picks at a scratch on her right arm. Blood starts to come out and Lucy flinches then wipes it away. I go grab a band-aid and stick it on her scratch. 

Through all of the scratches, dirt, bruises and scars her heart is pure and her eyes sparkle. I send her back to bed and make some soup in the afternoon. When I bring it to her, she is sleeping peacefully. I pull up the light-pink blanket on the bed. She's been through so much. Poor girl. I still can't get my mind off the locket. Where did it come from? Why does it have Lucy's name on it?

I go back to my room after setting the soup on Lucy's dresser. I take the heart shaped locket that sits on my nightstand. All of a sudden, it pops open. Inside is a picture of a little blonde-haired girl going down a slide. Lucy. The other picture is of me. I was playing with trains. Wait. How did this picture get inside the locket. I get kind of creeped out, so I close the locket and pretend like it never happened.   

All of a sudden my eyes drift back to Lucy. She is standing in the doorway of my bedroom staring at my hand which hold the locket. She walks towards me and puts her hand on my shoulder and picks up the locket with her free hand. It opens and reveals the pictures, only they are different now. It's of a guy who I'm suspecting is her father, and my dad, Igneel. This is just getting weirder by the second. 

All of a sudden, a thought snaps in half revealing what lies inside. Lucy. She's alive?!